FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Cameras - Need Input

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin VeronaNew Cameras - Need Input
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:48:22 pm

I am looking to get 2 new cameras - one the main cam and then a backup camera. Must be good for stage productions as well as low light. Total budget for both cameras - as close to $5000 as possible. Previous cameras were PD150 and VX2000. Looking for good combo. Any suggestions?

"Memories of today, Recorded for tomorrow."

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: New Cameras - Need Input
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:35:58 pm

It depends on what kind of shooting you do. Canon has a new camera, XJ100 HD for 3 grand. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733533-REG/Canon_4888B001_XF100_HD_Pr...

It records in 4:2:2 color space. I don't know a lot about it, but it looks interesting. Records onto Compact Flash cards.

You could also buy a DSLR, like the canon 60 D for your 2nd camera and some lenses to get the shallow depth cinema look that we all love. Your money is in the lenses for these cameras.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:55:57 pm

The Panasonic 150 is also comparable.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/575992-REG/Panasonic_AG_HMC150PJU_AG_...

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Martin VeronaRe: New Cameras - Need Input
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:49:27 pm

Mostly stage productions but a few events as well. The camera must be better then the Sony PD 150 in low lux and zoom capability.

Return to posts index

Bill CelnickRe: New Cameras - Need Input
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:04:11 pm

I think that you're going to have difficulty both staying within your budget and achieving a camera with low light that meets or exceeds what you got with the PD-150 / VX 2000 cameras. From 2001 to 2006 the VX 2000 was my main camera, so I know well what you hope to achieve.

Right now my 2 main cameras are the Sony Z7U (purchased in 2008), and a Panasonic HMC 150, purchased in 2009. Both are better in low light than the HD cameras that came before them, but not as good as the PD-150.

The Z7U - still available at B&H for about $5100, is the better of the 2 in low light, and can shoot to mini DV or to a CF card, or both simultaneously, which is ideal for stage plays so that you don't have to worry about needing to change tapes during the performance. It almost reaches the level of the VX 2000 for low light.

I've read good things about the low light capability of the new Panasonic AG HMC-160 - even played with it at B&H last month. I think it can be had for about $4200. Its on my own wish list right now.

Still, its out of your budget, but possibly there is an inexpensive consumer cam that can be your second camera.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 5:46:10 pm

Hi Bill,

My first digital cam used with my JVC X2B was the Sony TRV900. Then I got the VX2000. Interesting that the HD cams are not better in low light then then 150 & VX2000. The problem with this biz is the upgrading of the equipment. I might just have to go into B&H myself to check out these cameras.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:11:30 pm

I faced the same situation when my VX 2000's started to show their wear about 5 years ago.

I think that the cameras I mentioned are all much better cameras, and give you the capability to do so much more then the VX-2000s, and they're not awful in low light - but you're going to have to use more light at a wedding.

In my case, while using the VX-2000 my on camera light was a Frezzi Micro-fill, 35 watts. With the Z7U and HMC 150 I went back to a 50 watt Lowell I Light that I used in my SVHS days.

For stage plays, assuming there is some stage lighting provided by the facility, you should be fine.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 6, 2012 at 4:59:26 pm

If you are close to B&H, then I would suggest going there. Stage lighting will give you enough light for most cameras.

There are many choices. The sony EX1 is great in lowlight and detail, but it's also 6 grand. You might find a used one out there.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

by on May 4, 2012 at 6:32:05 pm

Well I jumped in and bought the Panny AC130 and a Canon XA 10 as the wide shot camera. What would you guys suggest as the recording speed on these cameras? I will be editing in Premiere Pro 5.5 for now. The DVDs will be standard DVDs not Blu-Ray. Just want the footage to look crystal clear on the large LCD TVs (unlike the pixelated video from the VX2.

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2012 at 11:57:46 am

Hi Martin

In general I believe in using each camera at it's maximum quality setting - why get less than the camera's best?

I have the HMC 150, not the 130 - I use the HG settings with 32 gig cards which generally gives about 190 minutes of record time.

I've used San Disk cards almost exclusively - I have a "Verbatim" card that I bought at a trade show when I got the camera - it works fine, but I never saw another dealer with Verbatim cards. I did buy 2 Delkin cards at B&H's recommendation, which gave me error messages although no loss of data - I threw these away almost immediately.

Based on the advice of others when I bought the HMC 150, I back up each card in 3 places and confirm that my edit software can read the files before I purge any cards. You will find your need for drive space will go up appreciably.

I have no knowledge of the Canon.

Since I expect to add another camera in the coming months, please share your experience on the HMC 130.

Good luck.

Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:13:46 pm

Hi Bill,

An update on my camera inquiry. I have shot numerous stage productions, dance shows and a wedding ceremony. Overall I am satisfied with the Panny AC130. The zoom lens blows the PD150 away. The clarity of the video and lighting control with manual iris is much better then the PD. However still having some problems with lighting and now need a portable light. also, the battery life is much shorter. I don't understand how a company like Panasonic who manufactures batteries cannot make a battery that would run this camera for over 4 hours. Not having to change tapes was very nice.

Martin

Return to posts index

Gerald ProstRe: New Cameras - Need Input
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:28:32 pm

My bread and butter is live theatre and dance. I used VX2000s until it wore out, then I switched to the Sony FX1000s. They use the same chips and lenses as most of the 1/3 inch chip Sonys. I get great results. I added Ninjas a couple of years ago and that has improved the quality slightly and vastly improved the workflow. The FX1000s and cameras from this family are very easy to operate and get reliable results. They also get great battery life and you can use your old Sony batteries. You can check out some samples at http://www.geraldprost.com.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]