FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Stage LED Lighting

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil ColdrickProblems with Stage LED Lighting
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:28:29 pm

I have just finished filming the local Nativities at various local schools. At one school they have installed LED lighting for the stage. When these are lighting some colours, particularly pure blue, they have an effect of turning the image out of focus, even when the camera is on manual focus. Other colours cause a ripple effect down the frame. White light doesn't seem to be a problem.

Before filming started I tried altering the frame rate from 50 and it wasn't until I got to 6fps that the rippling stopped. 6fps is of no use to me!

Is there any other way to combat this problem, as I can see that this is going to be an ongoing problem as more and more schools convert to LED lighting due to its low heat and energy?

Many thanks for any advice.

I am running a NX5 in 720.50p.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Problems with Stage LED Lighting
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:00:56 pm

There was another forum in the EX-1 section with the same issue. Try doing a test shoot while turning the GAMMA setting down or off. Your image will be flat, but you can tweak it in post. This may or may not help.

The blue LED's, especially the cheap DJ lights are an issue. If you have any control over lighting ask them not to use Blue or RED. I hate RED lighting in concert settings.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index