FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MaxSideburnWhich NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 6:59:38 pm

I went from Premiere Pro to FCP about 3-4 years back, and have since gotten pretty fast with FCP, still I hear people raving about how fast and intuitive Vegas and some other solutions are.

Since wedding videos comprise 80% of my work, I'll ask the question. If you've used multiple NLEs and do lots of wedding work, which NLE have you found was the quickest to get work out with?

Obviously much of it is simple user preference, but I'm always willing to give something a go if it can speed up my production.

Return to posts index

Sebastian AlvarezRe: Which NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 4:14:54 am

Edius 6, by far. Premiere is awful for most things, it just gets good publicity because some pros started to use it, but compared to Edius and FCP is absolute crap. Vegas is very decent, but very poor realtime, especially if you work with AVCHD. I don't know Avid, but that interface is so ugly that I never cared to use it, besides it's the most expensive.

Once you get up and running on Edius, there's nothing that comes even close in terms of speed. Adobe brags about Premiere's realtime performance with some expensive Nvidia cards. Edius has far better realtime performance and you don't need any expensive graphics card. I have an old ATI card and it flies. You can do color correction, YUV curve, and more effects all piled up and preview in full resolution, real time without having to render the clip. Unfortunately most people don't take a little time to try what's out there but instead go with what most pros use. In the case of the old FCP that wasn't so bad, because it was a very good NLE, but anybody who spends one week editing with Edius and Premiere is going to end up with Edius.

Sebastian R. Alvarez

Return to posts index

Robert SlenkerRe: Which NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 4:58:02 pm

I have been using Media 100 for years and love it. The GUI is great. It's really easy to learn, super fast, lots of real-time effects and titles. A great app that doesn't get enough press. Download it for free and use it for for 14-days. I think you will like it. It also comes with Boris RED 5 too. You can also bounce FCP 7 projects back and forth between it and FCP.
http://www.media100.com/

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Which NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:17:26 pm

You'll always be fastest on what you are comfy with. For some that is Premiere, others love what Avid has to offer to make their day shorter. Doesn't matter what you are cutting... the tools you select will relvove around your needs and budget.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Which NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?
by on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:28:59 pm

Any NLE will work equally. It's all about how comfortable you are with the editing software. You can even edit with Adobe Premier Elements.

I use Final Cut and Adobe Premier CS5. The new final cut does nothing to improve or enhance my ability to deliver a quality product.

I do know that the Premier CS5 / 5.5 and the Creative Suites works well together as a software package. I can open my premier project directly into after effects, then it will update in Premier. I can set up my DVD/BluRay in Encore, open it up in Photoshop, and then back to Encore with no issues. This speeds up my workflow and time. But, you only mentioned editing.

Transcoding can take forever on the Mac unless you are running Premier CS5 / 5.5. Using the Adobe Media encoder is really fast. I can transcode my videos for Vimeo or YouTube using presets that take minutes instead of hours for a 3-5 minute highlight reel.

Again as editing software, you won't benefit from any particular software. But as an overall suite to take your editing project to delivery, you have to also consider all steps involved and not only just the editing process.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Sebastian AlvarezRe: Which NLE do you find the fastest for your wedding work?
by on Oct 4, 2011 at 3:29:57 pm

[Brent Dunn] "Any NLE will work equally. It's all about how comfortable you are with the editing software. You can even edit with Adobe Premier Elements."

I beg to differ. That would be true if all NLEs had the same set of features but you'd have to learn how to operate each NLE's particular workflow. In the case of Premiere, it's a very stripped down NLE, to the point where the Pro should read Prosumer. Sure, you can still do great things with it, even a movie if you want to. The problem with it is the time it will take you. Shortcuts that exist in Edius and make editing with the keyboard very fast don't exist in Premiere. In Premiere you have to do almost everything with the mouse, adding unnecessary time. And multicamera in Premiere is the worst of any NLE I've ever used. It's just terrible. That was the main reason why I started looking at other NLEs to stick with one that would be faster than the rest and I found Edius. I seriously recommend you download the trial and give it a try. If you don't like it, fine, but I bet you that after working with Premiere, you'll find Edius to be a breeze.

Sebastian R. Alvarez

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]