FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin SnavelyInserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:02:00 am

This is a silly question, But I know there is an easy answer:

But I'm trying to find the name of a device that allows you to incorporate feeds from the computer powerpoint presentation and screencasts into my videostream. I shoot teaching events, and it is unwieldy trying to take notes of which slides ran where and then cut it back into my slide. I wanted to look into (read:dream about) being able to just insert the computer video and my camera video into one box that does it all.

If anyone can tell me either a brand name real quick, or what the thing is called, I'd be much obliged.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:20:04 pm

You mean a video switcher?

Take a look at BoinxTV and ChannelStorm Livechannel, as laptop-based versions, but you probably won't be happy with a software-based one as much as real hardware. B&Hphotovideo.com is a great place to make comparisons of video switcher hardware. You can find some in the sub-$1,000 category there.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 5:29:40 pm

I just had a client ask me to record 3 days of slides with audio so they would have a reference. This is a waste of space and time.

I choose to have the speaker in frame (when possible) with the slide in the background, so I can reference it for later insertion of the slides. I also get a copy of the powerpoint from teh client.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:37:58 pm

Brent's method is similar to mine. If you can get the slides on a thumb drive, adding them in post gives much better quality and control. That said, not every job like this offers the luxury of post time. So for some jobs, we have a switcher and scan converter, and we can treat the slide show like a third camera. When the live presentation is done, so is the program.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 4:54:36 pm

Mark: What is a scan converter?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:51:09 pm

It connects to the VGA port of the laptop that's running the slides, converting the computer's video output to a format compatible with a TV, video projector, or in this case, a live video effects switcher. They range from 99 bucks up to many thousands, depending on how fancy you want and how many features and controls. These are sometimes also called "video scalers" but that's not always accurate terminology, as some units don't control the scaling of the image. Ours do, they allow you to blow up various parts of the screen very tight, as if shooting with a camera, but without any screen flicker. Handy for training video work. These days most people use screen recording software for such demos, but that doesn't help you out in a live situation, only post.

Return to posts index

Justin SnavelyRe: Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:07:22 pm

Damn guys,
Thank you all so much.

Mark: You and I are on the same lines. This is simply a research thing, that isn't necessary, but I wanted to see how much $$$ it would be in case my client asks about it. The BoinxTV and scan converter idea is a good one. Currently, all of the options that I have found thus-far are beyond the "Is it worth it" price point. However, I will see if I can find something cheaper at NAB this next year. I'm thinking the sweet spot would be $500 for this kind of option (as well as a device that is under 10 pounds). The sweet spot goes up by a couple grand, of course, if it would also replace my Firestore FS-4ProHD as my main capture device.

@Brent: I agree - Keep the subject and the projection screen in the frame, and just insert the slides into the timeline in post. That is simplest. But with my boss, that isn't feasible. He has a PP presentation of about 90 slides that he will show only 40 or 50 that he thinks are right for that particular day, plus a series of 140 youtube videos and 60 ripped DVD's, It requires a LOT of note taking (which isn't always possible). He will also do demonstrations and physical exercises with volunteers, and wants me to get really close when the demo subject experiences a small muscular tremble and shake, or even capture changes in skin color (From a heat flush or what have you). This means being right next to the stage, which means I very rarely can get the projector screen into frame. I also am close since I am the go to person in case the laptop decides to crap out.

@Gary - Your post reminded me about screencasting, which is what I think will be the most cost-effective option. Just install screencast software on his computer and have him record a video of his presentation, so I can at least see what he was playing when, and take the note taking out of it completely. Windows media encoder is another free bit of software that does an okay job.

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 6:02:24 pm

A scan converter converts the computer output to a video friendly size. For example, if your computer is outputting 1280 x 1024 a scan converter will scale the image to 720 x 486 so it can be inserted into a switcher or a record deck. In the video world we use up convertors and down converters to move back and forth between HD and SD. In the AV world you use a scan converter because of the nonstandard sizes and sources (VGA, etc.).

Here are a few scan converters:
http://www.extron.com/product/listbytype.aspx?subtype=1

Regarding the Justin's question about incorporating slides with the recorded presentation, take a look at Microsoft Producer to see if it fits the bill. It's a free add on for Microsoft PowerPoint.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=12033

Record the presenter.
Encode the video to a windows media file.
Import the wmv into Producer.
Import the PowerPoint presentation into Producer.
Play the presentation and add markers to indicate slide changes. Publish the presentation.

When the viewer launches the program the video of the presenter plays in the top left corner while the slides are shown full screen. The slides have not been rasterized - this means that the viewer can enlarge the screen if necessary to read fine text. Try reading the fine text from a slide that was captured on camera and then later encoded to a 320 x 240 file. There's also an index on the left hand side that allows the viewer to jump to a specific portion of the presentation.

It's a useful application thas has flown under the radar for years. It's well worth the time to take it for a test drive.

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Inserting computer slides into Video feed (Like apple events)
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:01:13 am

There's a company called "Pluraleyes" that has a product called "Presto".

http://www.singularsoftware.com/presto.html#presto_fcp

If you ever have to do this kind of production, I strongly suggest you take a look. It's cheap, and can
save you hours of work in post.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]