FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding Production Sample or Template?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shane jenny
Wedding Production Sample or Template?
on Aug 22, 2011 at 6:22:04 am

Hey friends! Well, my little wedding video team now have 2 weddings under our belt with 2 more to come and I'm really trying to improve our communication and set better expectations for the team. I want to put together a production sheet that will list event info, contacts, which cameras are doing what (plus any info you'd recommend that would be helpful). We're in this business because we absolutely love weddings and still think they are a sacred thing. But we definitely need to "up" our game on game day! Any thoughts/tips/info would be great, or even better some type of sample production sheet you use that would help us be better organized. Thanks guys!

"Just along for the ride"

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Wedding Production Sample or Template?
on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:57:24 pm

You're on the right track. First of all, you need your team to sit through one of your wedding edits and see the result. Then you can coach them on what your expectations are.

Start out with a shot list for each segment. Bridal Prep, Ceremony, First Dance, Reception, etc.

Keep it short at first. Maybe 5 shots you must have for the Bridal Prep. The rest is open to the shooter. This will keep it simple and help each one of your crew develop.

Then you need a plan for the ceremony bridal procession. Map your location for shooting the ceremony.

Finally learn to triangle your cameras for the first dance, etc. so you are not in each other's shot.

It just takes some time to finally get a team approach down to a precise shooting machine. Don't over think it. Keep it simple and add to it. Finally, review each other's footage and talk about the good and bad shots.

Good Luck

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

shane jenny
on Aug 30, 2011 at 5:35:15 pm

Brent, that is EXCELLENT advice. Thanks for the response.

@grinner, we'll taking it a step further than that and turning it into a real production. I have 4 videographers for our wedding on Saturday, 2 5d Mkii's, 1 7D, and a Panasonic HMC-150. Lot's more cordinatin' to do than that!

"Just along for the ride"

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 30, 2011 at 1:11:20 pm

I don't think you need pre pro meetings or any kind of Production sheet for a wedding, man. It's more like "you'll be on the 5D getting close ups and I'll stay wide. See ya there at 6."

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:51:46 pm

I'm a little like Grinner, in planning. But, I do have my mental check list of shots that I need.

When you are starting out, it's a good idea to write down a short shot list for bridal prep, ceremony, & first dance, etc.

Keep it simple so your other shooters won't have a big list to refer too. Maybe 5 must have shots.

Once you use the same shooters enough, you will have a team that reacts to the situations rather than trying to remember all the shots they need to get.

I've also made a camera map of the church before, so everyone know's their place, and I've used this to let the photographer know where NOT to walk, so they don't blow my shot. Take charge and don't let the photographer's dictate your shooting.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite