FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videographer insurance???

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam DeierlingVideographer insurance???
by on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:54:20 pm

We are all familiar with insurance for your car or house but do I really need insurance for being a videographer? It is just me and some gear? What are the risks? Does anyone out there have thoughts on this? A company I found here offers it. Has anyone used them? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Videographer insurance???
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 1:43:16 pm

If you drop your camera can you afford a replacement?
If you have a lamp blow and burn down your client's office can you afford to buy him a new office?
If you get elbowed by a drunk groomsman and fall on the wedding cake do you have a spare cake in your camera bag?

I think you have answered your own question.

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Videographer insurance???
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:29:25 pm

Hi Adam

We have an Ultraflex policy with Erie Insurance gives us General Liability (damage we may cause to others, their property or venue), Inland Marine (coverage on our gear when out of the office) and office coverage for everything else in our studio. Best to find an agent that knows what these items are and not just giving you a policy - you may need them to go to bat for you someday on a claim.

Yes you do need insurance. You should require insurance from your freelancers as well.

Be sure to check out the Biz & Marketing forum, this is covered frequently

The COW has great search capability within its forums too to find prior threads on just about any subject.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Videographer insurance???
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:10:13 pm

State Farm is reasonable and WEVA has a carrier.

Yes, Yes, and Yes you need insurance. You have a business and are supposed to be a professional. The equipment is reason enough, but if someone trips on your tripod....which I had happen....a light burns someone, or a client sues you because they don't like your video.......or you get in a wreck in a company might be sued and will loose your company.

A million dollar policy isn't really that much for liability only.

Also, many places I film at, high end hotels, require that I have a milllion dollar policy before they will let me film on location.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Adam DeierlingRe: Videographer insurance???
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:12:54 pm

Thanks guys! I have also recently discovered another insurance company that I ended up getting coverage from. They are called Film Emporium. They are based out of NY but are great over the phone and quick to get back on emails. You can check them out at Highly recommended!

Return to posts index

Chet FriasRe: Videographer insurance???
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:04:42 pm

I spoke to a guy named Rich over at TCP Insurance ( that was very helpful. What's cool is that you can see what coverages they offer within a couple minutes with their quoting system. I also had my call returned very quickly. Worth checking out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved