FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod head making "crunching" sound?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett PierceTripod head making "crunching" sound?
by on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:19:57 am

Hey guys,

Just ordered a new Davis and Sanford tripod with the FM-18 head and have been testing it out. Everything's great besides the fact that when I pan or tilt the camera the tripod head makes sort of a crunching sound like aluminum being crinkled up.Not super loud but I'm worried my audio will pick it up. I have one of the biggest gigs of my life tomorrow, filming a signed band in the studio and I would love to figure this out before then!!

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: Tripod head making "crunching" sound?
by on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:14:17 pm

See if you can rent something else for your gig and worry about this after. The few dollars to rent something is cheap insurance that this tripod and it's noises don't ruin your most important gig.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Tripod head making "crunching" sound?
by on Aug 8, 2011 at 3:46:22 am

Might be a tensioning spring. Might be dirt in the mechanism, or a problem with brake/lock or drag tension.

I assume you've RTFM? is the camea too heavy for this head? Is this a fluid head, and does it actually have fluid IN IT? Apart from a partial disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly, I don't know what to tell you except that in a precision mechanism like a pan head, any kind of noise or rough feel implies galling and binding of metal, that's never a good thing.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Tripod head making "crunching" sound?
by on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:15:07 am

Actually, in my experience a "crunching" sound coming from a tripod head has NEVER been anything but a bad thing.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved