FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it Really Possible?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Jim ZaccariaIs it Really Possible?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 6:35:19 pm

I've been told by an event producer that he could have hired a local Las Vegas Videographer to record a 2-Day event for $200. Really? Any thoughts/comments on This?

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:07:14 pm

Either he's lying or the person is someone with a $200 camera he she got at Best Buy with no audio inputs and probably no tripod. I would have ask the producer why he/she didn't hire that person then? Not sure what you charged but I would have charged minimum $2000.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 11:23:36 am

I would not be at all surprised if this person had seen a Craigslist ad that offered this. Michael also most likely described this shooter to a T.

In my day job when I have been presented these comparisons by people, I would send them on their merry way telling them "that's a great price and they should get back there and snatch it up quick!" Don't try to negotiate your value, congratulate them on their fantastic bargain and send them on their way. If they don't leave and want to discuss your product some more.... you know what they are saying is BS and they are just stroking you.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:39:31 pm

Jim, why are you still talking to that deadbeat "producer" from your other discussion thread? Obviously he must think he can retroactively change your rate for a job you already did by re-bidding it to some fanciful notion of a Craigslister. It doesn't matter if he could get his Aunt Tilly to shoot it for five dollars and a kiss on the cheek: he hired YOU and agreed to YOUR rate. What rate he can find elsewhere means bupkis. But FWIW, sure you can find some guy to shoot for $200 a day in Vegas. Doesn't mean what he shoots will be WORTH 200 bucks:-)

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:33:00 am

Is this guy trying to negotiate after the shoot? In that case I'd say "well you didn't hire him you hired me and agreed to my rate of $$$. Next time you can call that guy but right now you owe me $$$.". A word of advice, make all clients sign an agreement stating you retain full copyrights until all outstanding balances are paid in full. That way they can't use it until they pay you and if they do you have more to sue for than simple non-payment. I've convinced many freelancers to start doing this. It makes for a better situation for all of us in the industry.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 8:04:32 pm

Laugh and let him hire is newphew, man. Done.

Return to posts index

Jim ZaccariaRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:53:35 pm

Thank You ALL for your Commments.

I Value You too much to waste any More of Your Time, [Or mine] on this subject/person.

I merely asked this question 'rhetorically' because This is what He had Told me [After the fact]. Of Course I didn't believe it to be true AND I desired a Source of reference to Back Me Up regarding the Absurdity of the 'given' figure.

Return to posts index

Dave HaynieRe: Is it Really Possible?
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:22:09 am

I think you'll find $200 cars on Craigslist, too. Doesn't mean you're going to trust it to get you there. Same principle, too. And similarly, if you got into an actual car dealer and rave about how you can get a $200 car, he'll write you off as a nut, point off that they do not sell $200 cars, and send you on your way.

When I do a job, I'm selling a much better car. And because of that, it's more expensive. If someone thinks they'll be happy with the $200 car, hey, it's a free country. But that price has no effect on me... if that's all this guy's shoot is worth to him, it's clearly a waste of my talents. And I'm hardly claiming to be the best around :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved