FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing wedding video demo for web

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Fourchalk
Compressing wedding video demo for web
on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:38:01 am

Hi again all you's event videographers. Poop for brains here requesting once again for some expert advice. Just trying to upload some 5 min wedding highlight reels (shot in hdv 30p)onto my website. Using compressor on mac but having trouble finding the proper compression conversions to post on web. Ideally of course, I want to compress the hdv into a .mov but its coming out either too big of a file (1.3 gb) or small enough (200 mb) but losing its aspect ratio (goes to full screen). H.264 is confusing me but anyway....can someone please give me some advice. I know some post on youtube or vimeo or some 3rd party server but I just want it to stick to my website seperate from these others.

Thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Michael Lorushe
Re: Compressing wedding video demo for web
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:40:36 pm

Rob,

If it were me, I wouldn't use H.264 or a quicktime format to embed on the web for people to see. Not everyone may be able to watch it in that format, especially PC users. You could export from your editing software as a flash file (.flv)...and use a program like dreamweaver to generate a skin. If that's too complicated you could just sign up for a vimeo+ account, upload your videos their and embed them onto your website. You can customize the skin to remove the vimeo logo, like button, share button etc. so that clients wont know its actually embed, thats what I do, very convenient.

Mike

Michael Lorushe - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.mikedoesmedia.com
http://www.hitchstudios.co.uk

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:47:29 pm

Hey - thanks for the heads up Mike. I was looking into Vimeo and concluded that I couldn't make use of it as I'm now legitimately in the videography business. I thought vimeo was for non-commercial use only. Am I wrong about this because this would make it much easier for me.

Thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:54:04 am

This is what I do. Keep in mind I'm using Premiere. I export as a full quality m2t 1440x1080 (for HDV) file and upload it to my YouTube account. Once YouTube processes it, I simply download the 1080p mp4 file from YouTube. It's the highest quality at the smallest file size. I've yet to find a way to export video from my NLE that matches YouTubes quality at such a small file size.

So, instead of figuring out the export setting for your website, just figure our what works best for a YouTube conversion.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:10:02 am

[Michael Johnston] "This is what I do. Keep in mind I'm using Premiere. I export as a full quality m2t 1440x1080 (for HDV) file and upload it to my YouTube account. Once YouTube processes it, I simply download the 1080p mp4 file from YouTube. It's the highest quality at the smallest file size. I've yet to find a way to export video from my NLE that matches YouTubes quality at such a small file size. "

That's interesting. I was playing around with alternate H.264 encoders, and found TMPGenc... the modern version of the first MPEG-1/2 encoder I used, back in the pre-DVD days. My concern lately has been a Soccer Team video project, and just that -- top quality for lowest bitrate. I had played with both Sony's and Main Concept H.264 encoders. Both product good results, but Sony's is really tweaked for Blu-ray and other higher bitrate things, and to date (this is with Vegas 10) doesn't support VBR. Main Concept does, and 2-pass and all that, but it's overall a weaker encoder (at least the Vegas version).

Turns out TMPGenc Video Mastering Works is using the open source x264 encoder -- same encoder Google uses on YouTube. I had played with this a little using free tools like HandBrake, but never found the overall system reliable enough to form an opinion. But I'm relatively sold on x264, particularly for lower bitrate stuff.

In the past, I've mostly hosted online content from my own server. But it's getting more complex. Some viewers can view in full HD, others don't have the bandwidth for SD, and still others want to watch on their mobile devices. Last year, I put a same-day edit of a Wedding on YouTube -- created a custom account, just for the wedding. This was of course limited to YouTube's 15 minute policy (or was it 10 minutes last year), but it was enough.

This year, I've been putting whole soccer games there... on my account, I'm one of the lucky few with an original "Director's Account"... unlimited length videos. Maybe the only reason to use YouTube :-) When this feature was created, it was fairly useless, since their upload limit was 100MB. In modern times, though, it's very usable. A useful feature, too, is making a video link-only. So it doesn't get displayed to "followers" of your account, but anyone with the link can view it.

I'm not sure about the commercial aspect -- the Soccer project is "charity work" (eg, my daughter's the goalie, and as long as I shoot the games, my life remains a good one). It's not as if YouTube is even slightly non-commercial these days, but I'd certainly look into it before using it for paying jobs on a regular basis.

On the other hand, I messed around with programming my website to offer Flash and a few HTML5 options last year, and found very little success. Some supposedly HTML5 browsers failed completely, but even Flash and H.264 are becoming some kind of issue, with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and iOS (just to name a few) rejecting these in various incarnations. The hosting services have people working to keep things compatible as possible, even the extent that portable devices without Flash may still launch a custom YouTube player. Depends, of course, on how visible the video needs to be.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]