FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you recommed a great no track dolly for filming events

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Bliddal
Can you recommed a great no track dolly for filming events
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:49:59 pm

I am considering buying a none track dolly that I can move around on an carpet or hard even surface and still get a nice short without visible vibrations. I want to use it for events and Seminar videos where I want to use the ability to change camera placement while filming to make more interesting shorts than when filming from a fixed position. I have a Manfrotto Fig Rig and it does give a lot of freedom in movement, but it has 2 huge disadvantages when used with my XH-A1 Camcorder.

1. it becomes tiresome to hold it after a while and that does impact the filming.
2. I cannot stabilize it enough to use the entire 20x zoom range of the camcorder.

I am awaiting my new Vinten Vision Blue Tripod and are really looking forward to being able to use the entire zoom range of my camcorder when going to New Zeland this December, but I am also considering buying a Dolly with 5" weels. I know that I can use the dolly to move the tripod with while turned of, but have any of you any experince with using this type of Dolly while filiming. A track Dolly will be a no go in most situations.

Let the machine work for you. Not you for the machine

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Can you recommed a great no track dolly for filming events
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:11:37 am

Have you considered using a slider? These are portable dolly systems that are self contained.

Here are two that I recommend.

dpslider.com
DP Slider's have roller based sliding sytem that are very smooth.

glidetrac.com

Glidetrac just came out with a Hybrid Slider with bearings. The previous glidetrac's tended to stick.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:30:52 pm

See the link below. I have used an older version of this dolly for more than 2 decades and I still think it's a great product. It's relatively heavy, which makes it stable and it rolls extremely smoothly on most surfaces. The wheel brakes are very positive and easy to engage/disengage. I rhave rarely used the removeable cable gasrds because the ground clearance is very small, but in some cases they can be handy. Give this one serious consideration, it's a great investment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553954-REG/Manfrotto_114_114_Heavy_Du...

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Jan Bliddal
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:49:04 pm

Hi Bret and Joel Thanks very much for you Answers. Joel I needed someone to verify that you can get reasonably stable shorts when using a wheel based dolly like the Manfrotto you linked to. Bret both solutions looks great when you need a totally smooth movement. Especially the Glidetrack as it is available in europe which saves me from having to paying import taxes The danish VAT of 25% is high enough as it is

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:45:31 am

I also have the Manfrotto dolly. I rarely use it for dolly shots, unless I'm extremely lucky and have a perfectly smooth surface, which isn't likely in an event situation. I use it for my crane so I can move it easily.

Yes, the glidetrack hybrid will be perfect for you, but you'll still need to import it from England, unless you drive to pick it up, which will cost you more in travel expenses than the VAT you'll have to pay.

You can shoot from the floor, on a tripod, or light stands. They have different lengths. For most shoots, you don't need a very long one since you'll be running and gunning a lot. You won't need anything longer than 1 meter for 90 % of your shots.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Jan Bliddal
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:06:52 pm

Hi Bret thanks a lot for a very informative answer. I will be using the Manfrotto dolly for moving my equipment and for dolly shorts if I am lucky enough to have smooth surface on location. I will of cause test that when I check out the locations before the event it self

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]