FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weddings and Small Events Audio material

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno SilvaWeddings and Small Events Audio material
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:49:31 pm

Hello to all.

I work for a long time editing stuff, so I only knew the basic about filming, but me and a friend of mine are trying to do some extra works , recording small events and some weddings.

At this moment we have one camara, Panasonic AG-Hmc41 (problable the best is get another one???) and we want to get some audio material, I have been looking at the material of Sennheiser, they have a huge number of offers and I dont know what is the best for my needs.

I problable will need one of the smalls micros that are in people jackets, and one normal micro, at least to start.

What should I buy and what extra stuff I should get, anyone with experience can help me out with this? and give me some advices?

.......Doing my best.....

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Weddings and Small Events Audio material
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 7:48:40 pm

One of the portable digital audio recorders, with a lavoliere microphone, can be hidden in the inside coat pocket of the groom's tuxedo during the wedding, and it will pick up the vows very well. You then import the audio file and align it with the video already shot.

You can also get a wireless microphone and capture that audio live into your camera on a second audio channel. This method saves some time in the editing.

Of the two methods, *for the same amount of money spent,* the digital audio recorder is the more reliable, because in my opinion all wireless mics costing less than a thousand dollars US are more hobbyist types than pro systems. That is a gross generalization but one that has been arrived at by personal experience.

On the other hand, you can get a very good digital audio recorder for less than three hundred dollars, and it will never get hit with RF interference at a critical part of the vows, just because a passing taxicab driver outside the church chooses that exact moment to radio his dispatcher.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Weddings and Small Events Audio material
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:17:35 am

I dissagree with the above post. I use the Sony UWF wirelss. I've been in a conference running 12 wireless systems at the same time with no intereference. I've use the sony wireless lav's and handheld for 7 years with no issues and great sound.

We even did a head to head comparison with 3-4 wirless systems and the sony produced broader sound.

That being said, I still do some EQ sweetening.

Many people do use the portable recorder's such as the zoom. I also use this on occasion, but a true professional would never record audio without montitoring the source. This is the draw back of portable recorders. Most of the time, you have to keep your fingers crossed that you have the audio and someone didn't push the button after you started recording.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Weddings and Small Events Audio material
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:26:54 pm

How much did the Sony wireless cost, was my point. Better *for the amount of money spent* was the qualifier.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: Weddings and Small Events Audio material
by on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:33:44 am

I have read a ton of posts and various threads on this and it always seems to go about 50/50. The only difference has been there were more who switched to DVRs than switched away from them. Those who held steadfast with the wireless used monitoring the audio as their reason. The truth of that matter is, no matter which lav system you use, if it goes out during the middle of a "one take" event, you are equally as screwed with either one.

That brings up the need for redundancy so you have backup options if needed. Lots accomplish this with a second lav set up on the officiant if it's a wedding. It also can be done with a shotgun mic, if you are close enough, riding on top the cam.

But starting out you need at least two sources for the audio capture. Crap happens and when it does, you need something else to fall back on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved