FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent DunnHow many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jun 6, 2011 at 2:01:52 pm

I see this question a lot. How much footage do you shoot at a wedding?

I respond, as little as possible.

I just shot a 2 cam, 8 hr. wedding over the weekend. I ended up with 103 Gig's of footage. I think this is a better answer than the actual time. Storage is always the issue.

I have 2 - 32 gig cards with my Canon 7D, with another cheap card for emergency's. I filled the two 32 Gig cards.

I have 2 - 32 SxS cards for my EX-1. Filled one, partially filled the other.

This may help some of the newbies's.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Michael FolorunshoRe: How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:28:29 am

Yep i agree with you. I never understood the whole 'shoot as much footage as possible' idea that many videographers seem to have. I usually know exactly how i'm going to edit so i only shoot what i think is I'll use.

The one thing i would add is, make sure your client understands that your not actually going to shoot every second of the whole event. You'd think that's obvious but you'd be surprised.

Michael Folorunsho - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.mikedoesmedia.com
http://www.hitchstudios.co.uk

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:29:57 pm

I recently was asked by a bride and groom to film them going table to table. I think they thought I was a photographer, as I rarely use that footage. I may shoot a few creative shots at that time, but mostly reaction shots, hugs, laughter, etc.

Once I even pointed a camera without actually filming to please them. They never asked me...where's the footage of us going around the table?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dave HaynieRe: How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:54:29 pm

If the customer asked me to shoot them going table to table, I would. No, I wouldn't dream of using that in the main finished reception video, but I'd have it in there as a "DVD Extra". Sure, they're likely to forget they even asked, but eventually, you'll have someone who really, really wanted to see that nonsense. Claiming to shoot it, but not shooting it, is pretty damn risky.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Dave HaynieRe: How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:51:32 pm

I'm one guy with at least two cameras. So I have at least one camera on and shooting. Sometimes it's an alternate prespective, sometimes I need to do a little ping-ponging between cameras. All use the same Bogen/Manfrotto mount, which I also have on the Glidecam 2000, so it's easy to move cameras on and off stabilization devices.

The key I found to make this all work -- I record audio for the whole thing, in MP3 on one of my flash audio recorders (Tascam DR-1, Zoom H4n). This gives me good background audio if I need it, but primarily, it make it super easy for PluralEyes to sync up all the video.

Before I did this, one of the main reasons to "just keep it running" was to make the integration of 2-3 cameras worth of video happen fast... storage less of an issue than "all that sync-up work". I've been doing this now for over a year, and it's lead to me capturing less video, but more useful video. So the workflow actually speeds up.

-Dave

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jun 12, 2011 at 10:40:23 pm

They pay too little tp begin with. I shoot the ceremony, the reception, and make a cool video out of the above... even if they can't come up with 5 grand. There is no template. If there were, They'd stick to a real budget.

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: How many gigs do you shoot: a follow up
by on Jul 23, 2011 at 7:07:45 am

Shot a three cam wedding two weeks ago. One cam pre-ceremony, 3 cam ceremony, one cam reception. NX5U was the primary with a HD1000U and a JVC Everio as secondary. Ended up with 4 hours of footage. Three hours of footage is pretty normal for me on a 6 hour wedding shoot. Usually takes two days to edit from import to DVD burn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]