FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sport events recorded directly to DVD

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John PerusoSport events recorded directly to DVD
by on May 19, 2011 at 4:32:02 am

I own a couple JVC HM100 cameras. I work sporting event tournaments and sell game footage. What I currently do is dump footage from cameras to my macbook, burn a master copy of the games, then mass dupe them on a DVD duplicator. This takes quite a while, between ingesting footage, making the menu, and burning the master DVD. What I would like to do is hook the HM100 directly up to a DVD Recorder and record games directly to DVD. It doesn't matter if the menu is crappy, I just need to mass produce these games quickly and with best picture possible. The problem is I don't know of any DVD recorder with an HDMI input, or if they even make such a thing, etc. I know I can go to the recorder using rga cables, but that significantly reduces quality. Does anyone know of the best way to go about this process while keeping the best picture quality possible?? Can I go through rga, and is there a way to upconvert? I feel pretty novice on the whole subject. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Sport events recorded directly to DVD
by on May 23, 2011 at 5:31:29 pm

I also do a lot of this, but not so much mass duplicating, more highlight reels for individual athletes.

I have a better solution in the technology friendly environment. Upload the game to Vimeo, password protect it and provide the password to those who pay you. They download the games. No duplicating, mailing, hassles!

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Sport events recorded directly to DVD
by on May 28, 2011 at 10:12:27 pm

Seems like you;d wanna edit em if selling them. You can easily just upload em when done, as suggested.

Return to posts index

Martin CurtisRe: Sport events recorded directly to DVD
by on Jun 3, 2011 at 5:12:39 am

The image quality with composite (RCA) will be fine if the source is good. I've looked and looked for anything with HDMI in, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Alternatively, you could use a DVD recorder with Firewire in. My Panasonic DMR-EZ48V has that. I also have a portable Sony VRD MC6 with FW in, but you can't monitor the audio from it and it has no playback. The Sony is, however, portable, although it requires a 12V power source.

Set your DVD recorder to auto playback anything it records so people don't even get to see the crappy menu.

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: Sport events recorded directly to DVD
by on Jul 23, 2011 at 7:18:25 am

Have you considered going FireWire into a laptop and capture live to eliminate ingesting later? That would save you a significant amount of time. I did that all the time before going tapeless with a NX5U.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved