FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone identify this connector?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave EdwardsCan anyone identify this connector?
by on May 5, 2011 at 7:46:08 am

I've just inherited the small monitor shown in the attached image and wondered whether I might be able to use it as a camera monitor. The problem is that I don't recognise the connector type (also shown). I'd be very grateful for any help anyone can give with this!

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 5, 2011 at 11:28:45 am

Off hand it looks like S-Video (aka Y/C), but I haven't dug up an S-Video cable and counted the pins ... there are also a number of other far less common connectors that look very much like S-Video, but have a different number or configuration of pins and are almost unique to the single device they were intended to plug into.

Return to posts index

Martin CurtisRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 5, 2011 at 12:53:30 pm

It's a 9 pin DIN plug. S-video uses 4 pin DIN plugs so it's not one of them.

It looks like something that comes from a DVD system you'd find in a car.

My guess would be that some of those pins carry video, some carry power. Audio's probably in there too. Composite video, stereo audio and power would account for eight pins.

Return to posts index

Dave EdwardsRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 5, 2011 at 4:05:01 pm

Thanks guys,- I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do much with this!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 5, 2011 at 10:08:00 pm

DIN plugs probably have a standard pattern for where everything goes, power to which pins, etc. Thqt's the point of having standardized plugs in the first place. The hot and ground pins are always going to be in a certain place... well, usually....

Maybe you can look that up at Mouser electronics or Digi-key and get the pin-out diagram. Or buy a bare matching connector and sore leads from those two sources, then it will be easy to hook up a scope or VOM with some low power DC and map out what the pins do, from the other connector's backside. Then some testing with probes can reveal if it was indeed hooked up in the standard manner. The conenctor can't be more than a buck. Better odds tha a lotto ticket, for sure, so go ahead and gamble on it.

Return to posts index

Joel ServetzRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 7, 2011 at 2:55:51 am

try inquiring at the website mp3car.com. They sell a lot of monitors and accessories for vehicle hookups and likely have that or a similar product.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Martin CurtisRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 7, 2011 at 6:27:04 am

[Mark Suszko] "DIN plugs probably have a standard pattern for where everything goes, power to which pins, etc. Thqt's the point of having standardized plugs in the first place. "

You know what I love about standards? There are so many to choose from :-)

Personally I wouldn't expect any sort of standard wiring arrangement with yum-cha brand electronic equipment that's not meant to plug into anything except what it came with. If it was me, I'd be searching Google for "(insert brand here) schematic diagram".

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Can anyone identify this connector?
by on May 11, 2011 at 12:02:50 am

old school ten pin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]