FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grainy Video

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bender
Grainy Video
on May 2, 2011 at 2:22:28 am

Can't seem to find the exact forum for this, but this seems closest...I bought a Kodak HD PlaySport (like a Flip Cam) cuz I wanted to shoot HD quality video of my kids' baseball games to make something for the coaches...we're shooting in full sunlight, but the video still seems very grainy...why is that happening with an HD device in good lighting? any ideas?

Thanks,
Jimmy Bender

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Grainy Video
on May 2, 2011 at 2:08:55 pm

Digital zoom will do that. Did you zoom in?

Return to posts index

James Bender
on May 2, 2011 at 2:57:44 pm

yes...I was trying to get the subjects (like pitcher throwing or batter hitting) in full screen, but this thing doesn't do that unless you're within 5 feet or so...so my next question is, if I shoot with standard lens setting, can I "zoom" in during post without it getting blurry or grainy?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 3:14:54 pm

Well it won't be optimal, but yes, I think doing your zooms of AVCHD footage in post is a better idea. My reasoning is based on the fact that digital zooms in flip type cameras give up pixels to create the zoom, so your image is made up of fewer but larger pixels.

If you transcode the footage into a good high def format like prores, you haven't created any more pixels than you had in the camera, but the quality of the blow-up is going to be better than what the flip could do in real time. Also, you have the option of applying various upscaling plug-ins to size-up the footge by interpolating what data you DO have in the image, in a more controllable way than what the digital zoom inthe flip can do. Then too, adjusting the luminance channel sharpness in post will add to the *perception* of more sharpness. So, you just have more abd better tools in post to do a blow-up, than if you do that in the camera.

The flip type camera is really meant for wide shots and stuff that is within arm's length, not for telephoto work. Same for it's audio abilities.

Return to posts index

James Bender
on May 2, 2011 at 3:19:56 pm

Mark...thanks so much for the help...any plug-ins you recommend over others?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 5:25:01 pm

Not really. Though if you don't have any at all, you could try exportinga frame movie into photshop and applying automated abtch processing of filters from there. That would be a slower way to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]