FORUMS: list search recent posts

Searching for a HD camcorder with High Quality video and tapeless workflow under $3,000

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William DedulaSearching for a HD camcorder with High Quality video and tapeless workflow under $3,000
by on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:42:39 am

Hello All;
This seems to be the right place to post this message though if not, let me know which forum category is more appropriate.

I am looking for a prosumer or professional video camera that offers tapeless workflow, the best HD video quality and best bang for the buck for under $3,000. I am looking at the new Canon XF100 which offers only one Chip, but 50 MBPS/and 4:2:2 color space or either the JVC GY-H100U which offers 3 chip but 1/4" ccd and I'm assuming 4:2:0 colorspace, and the Sony NX5U NXCAM which I know pushes me overbudget. Or are there any others I should consider under $3,000 ?

Anyone know if it's better to have one chip 4:2:2 or three chip 4:2:0 and what is the effect of using 1/4 vs. 1/3" chips ? Does this make a big difference in quality ?

I'm assuming you fellas at some point had to make these decisions so I'm hoping you can provide your thoughts and expertise to help me make a better informed decision. Thanks. Tim

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Searching for a HD camcorder with High Quality video and tapeless workflow under $3,000
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:07:13 pm

The larger the CCD's the better. But cams are transitioning to C-Mos chips so that's different again.

A 2/3 CCD will yield far better images.

However, your question, Look into a Used HPX170 by Panasonic. This shoots a great 422 HD image.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Michael GriggsRe: Searching for a HD camcorder with High Quality video and tapeless workflow under $3,000
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:25:31 pm

Go for Panasonic's AG-HMC150. We've got 2 of them, and shoot around 30 weddings a year with them! It's basically the exact same thing (lens, CCD sensors) as the previously recommended 170, but it's $800 cheaper and shoots onto SD cards rather than P2. You'll save a lot of money with the easier/cheaper recording medium and still get the same quality image.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/575992-REG/Panasonic_AG_HMC150PJU_AG_...

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Searching for a HD camcorder with High Quality video and tapeless workflow under $3,000
by on May 3, 2011 at 5:53:06 pm

I think the panasonic 150 will fit your needs as mentioned above.

Or you can go the DSLR route and buy a canon 7D with a lens.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite