FORUMS: list search recent posts

Format and settings to shoot a wedding?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayesFormat and settings to shoot a wedding?
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:34:02 pm

I'm going to shoot a wedding for a friend with the understanding that I have never done this before. I can shoot with a Sony in HDV or with a Panasonic HVX200. The Panasonic has a 4:2:2 color space while the Sony does not.

1. Do you think the quality difference between these two camera will make much difference for this type of video?

2. I'm thinking of shooting it in 720P. Should I consider 1080? Just curious what you guys do?

3. What frame rate?

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Format and settings to shoot a wedding?
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:48:47 am

whatever you prefer or what they decided on. Shoot with both and mix em, man.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Format and settings to shoot a wedding?
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:08:20 pm

I shoot 24p 1080p. But if you can match our cameras, it's just a choice you have to make. You have to understand your equipment by shooting with both settings and find out which is the best for you personally.

It won't make that much difference. If you edit with Final Cut, you can import to prores 422. The main problem you'll have is your color, since you are shooting with two different cameras. Try to find the settings that match the best. Otherwise, you'll have to color correct in post.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Format and settings to shoot a wedding?
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:52:04 pm

I've used the Panasonic and I like it. I would say 720, 1080 is overkill and chews up more drive space. More important will be for you to get familiar with manualyl controlling focus and exposure from shot to shot, and properly setting white balance beforehand. Also, you need a strategy to get the audio of the vows clearly recorded. Wedding clients can stand a sub-par picture if the audio is clean, but never the reverse. I used to hang an inexpensive wireless insode the groom's coat and hide the lav mike in his bouteniere or lapel, to catch the vows. You can also tap into the celebrant's wireless if he's wearing one, since he'll be standing close tot he couple during the vows usually. You can also hide a tiny digital audio recorder in the groom's inside pocket and on the lectern to get the readings and such, is there are any.

But DO NOT count on the little shotgun mic to get all the audio cleanly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved