FORUMS: list search recent posts

Special contract or NDA??

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Rollins
Special contract or NDA??
on Apr 1, 2011 at 3:50:44 am

Howdy! I am going to be following a local band for several months as they record their album. I have a guy who I know a little bit but is very interested in shadowing me to see my HDSLR techniques. He has a 5DM2 and will be taking some secondary shots to both practice and hopefully provide some good footage for me. Soooo... since this is sensitive material aka... unreleased music from the band that can not be "leaked" out without band approval. Should I have this dude sign some sort of contract... would this be a place for an NDA or just a simple custom agreement saying I own rights to all his footage and he can not share it without consent?

I don't want to make this complicated but I want to be safe since I don't know this guy that well.

Cheers,
Dan Rollins - LiveWireFilms.com
HDSLR Videographer (T2i & 7D shooter) - FCP 7.0.3 (Studio 3) - 27" iMac 2.8 Quad-core i7 4GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4850 & 17" MBP 2.3 Quad-core i7 8GB RAM - AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: Special contract or NDA??
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:28:29 am

1) Get an NDA.

2) Give him a spare flash card, take it with you when you leave. He can have the video back after it's released, or you send him a video-only copy, if he's concerned about being able to review his work.

3) Make it clear to him it's the band's decision, not yours. In the music business these days, it's not unusual for a little paranoia surrounding unreleased music.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:15:15 pm

I would not allow him to keep ANY footage period. Have him sign a contract or your sol when he posts it on his website.

I just did a big concert shoot. Get some EX-1's. 5D's work well with some shots but the EX-1 blew them out of the water for concert shooting.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:38:23 pm

Thanks guys.

I had a conversation with him yesterday and explained that he will be shooting with all my cards and he won't be able to have any of the footage. I told him that once the album is released it will be up to the band to determine if they are ok with the footage being shared with him. He was cool with that and very excited to be able to shoot. I will also have this in writing for him to sign.

Regarding the EX-1.. pardon my ignorance, are you talking a Sony EX-1? I googled EX-1 and saw the Sony PMW-EX1. I am curious what model you are referring too. As I build up my business I am budgeting for the purchase of a "dedicated" video camera to have on hand along with my 2 DSLR's.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Dan Rollins - LiveWireFilms.com
HDSLR Videographer (T2i & 7D shooter) - FCP 7.0.3 (Studio 3) - 27" iMac 2.8 Quad-core i7 4GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4850 & 17" MBP 2.3 Quad-core i7 8GB RAM - AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]