FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPad 2 just announced by Steve Jobs

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent DunniPad 2 just announced by Steve Jobs
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:27:12 pm

HDMI out, so it'll help show those photo montages and videos on the big screen. It also has iMovie and Garage Band available.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dave HaynieRe: iPad 2 just announced by Steve Jobs
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:55:50 pm

Well... yeah... the HDMI output is via an $40 adapter cable. And it's rather odd. I was following the conference, and they claimed the output can be 1080p. But apparently, that's just for stills. The online specs still call a maximum of 720/30p video, for either AVC or MJPEG.

There are a few other indications that this is pretty much just an incremental update, despite the insistence during the conference that it's "all new" and "unbelievable" and other tripe. They claim "up to 2x faster CPU", they didn't reveal any details of the A5 SOC, they didn't talk about RAM (and most of that's not online, anyway).

The core of the competition on Android tablets is around the nVidia Tegra 2. While this can't do full blown AVC High Profile, it can do 1080/60i or 1080/24p AVC at main profile, and at very low power consumption. It's hard to believe Apple improved their CPU and included a whole new GPU (probably a dual core model from PowerVR), but ignored video acceleration. Ok, sure, some folks (like me) care more about video than games, anyway, but clearly that's not the core of the iOS user base. And CPU, for the Tegra 2, rates "up to 2.5x" faster than the crop of 1GHz systems out today. These are already shipping, under $400 (Viewsonic G-Tablet... yeah, the Android 2.2 implementation on this one needs some work, and no one should buy one without a guarantee of an upgrade to 3.0).

-Dave

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: iPad 2 just announced by Steve Jobs
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:46:05 pm

Of course, it all come's down to the Apps. Apple has the edge simply due to the abundance of apps.

It's still a big improvement to have the video out. Yeah, I caught that 1080p and then saw the video at 720p. I'm sure they did this because the dual core still can't handle 1080p editing with their iMovie app being promoted.

Apple downplayed they're tech spec's simply by stating that we are apple and you should just love us no matter what attitude. Well, yes I love apple products, but I've also purchased an HP laptop because the Apple products are way over priced for a comparable laptop.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dave HaynieRe: iPad 2 just announced by Steve Jobs
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:03:19 pm

Yeah. Well, somewhat.. you want the app that you need. You don't necessarily care if there are 10 or 529 that do the same job. Apple's got kind of a year's lead on tablet apps, but it's not really that big, because Android wasn't limited to a single resolution, anyway. So plenty of apps from today will work on larger screens, even if they won't yet take full advantage of Honeycomb. But that also means there's less of a growing pain, in all likelihood. Yeah, Android has some catching up on the software side... and there are others also shooting for the tablet (WebOS, RIM's new QNX-based tablet OS, and Microsoft, once they figure out what they're really doing about touchscreens).

The 720p could just be to sync up with the camera and iMovie -- Apple's always far more concerned about their internal formats than what might come from my camcorder. On the other hand, you can't even play 720p on a tablet using just the processor. Maybe not even two... and you certainly don't get 10 hours of video that way. Even many 2-core PC desktops can't play 1080p AVC using just the CPU. Now, on a PC, you have GPUs with stream processors, but on these small SOCs, the GPUs aren't usually that programmable. nVidia and TI, for example, both include dedicated H.264 decoding hardware on their chips (well, it's dedicated DCT decoding... works on MPEG-2 and maybe even VC-1 as well). Could be Apple's got the hardware for 1080p but hasn't written code to support these new engines (then again, with their budget and reputation for polishing the code before release, I think that's unlikely).

Then again, you can only buy 720p in the iTunes store. The camera only does 720p. So maybe that's just the only thing on their radar right now. There's zero benefit to 1080p on the device itself, only via HDMI. Given that's a $40 accessory, it's not going to be all that popular, I think.

Otherwise, this was probably a pretty smart release. There's not a single revolutionary thing in there, but it's without question a nicer device. It's managed to more or less keep up with the hardware of the competition, at least as of today, close enough that no one's going to choose a Xoom over an iPad 2 just based on performance. And yet, it's not such a jump up that iPad 1 owners are going to go crazy over upgrading.. but they might draw in a bunch of fence sitters.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]