FORUMS: list search recent posts

best on-camera LED Light

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Leyba
best on-camera LED Light
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:06:07 am

Hey guys!

I am now looking for an affordable LED light for my camera, because my camera's low light capability is not that good. I am currently looking at LitePanels Micro, Rotolight, Opteka VL-126 and the Cn-126.

Can anyone help me in making a decision? Which is the best one? I want a bright light with dimmers and the one that flickers the least.

If there are any other lights that I do not know, please feel free to suggest some.

Thanks everyone!!!

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: best on-camera LED Light
on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:29:34 am

What's your budget? I've got my eye on the Lightpanels Sola ENG. I haven't seen one yet but the specs look like it's the first light on the market that might actually replace my Lowell Pro light. The only caveat I see is that it only comes with a power tap connector, although I'm told they're working on a new version with detachable power cables for other sources. Has anyone out there bought one yet?

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:24:04 pm

My budget is about $100- 200

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 27, 2011 at 7:42:30 pm

Skip the on camera light. It makes everything flat. Crusie over to Ace hardware and spend 20 bucks ona dimmable head band LED kit. Looks goofy as hell but you can change the color temp on it, and, should you ever get the squint from whomever yuo are shooting, it's as easy as looking away a bit withut having to reframe the camera. All in all, it allows you to light from an angle rather than making everything flat like a sungun in 1983.

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:27:52 am

$100 - $200 won't get you anything of professional quality. At that level there are some lights and battery packs from Bescor and a couple of others, but I would suggest saving up for something of professional quality that is durable and controllable.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 29, 2011 at 4:45:07 pm

again, 20 bucks at ace hardware store. Mucho better than any dimmable LED on camera set up I have ever had.
It depends on what you are shooting of course. If shooting medical stuff, flat is fine. Seeing is best. If ina corporate environment, you really don't wanna throw on the ole head band either. Music, docs, run and gun story-telling? Man it's perfect.

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Jan 29, 2011 at 8:31:13 pm

can you give me the link to that light?

thanks man!

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 30, 2011 at 3:48:50 am

Sorry, but I've got to frown at the Grinner :(. Justin, the durability and versatility of truly professional equipment will pay for itself many times over in any number of scenarios, from run n' gun to interview sets, etc. My Lowel Pro-Light on-camera lights have stood the test of time and lots of abuse in places as varied as banquet halls, Central American rain forests, construction sites, cardiac operating rooms, etc., etc. There are lots of times when inexpensive substitutes for "the real thing" can serve your purposes, but only professional-grade equipment will give you consistent, long-term professional results, as well as branding you as a professional in the eyes of your clients and collaborators. I have lighting instruments that have been in service for 20+ years and going strong. That's a good investment. Save your money and buy the real thing. Save the headlight for camping trips and fixing the plumbing under your sink.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 30, 2011 at 4:20:03 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The last time I dusted off my Lowel intruments was at least 9 months ago... maybe a year. I need the ability to change the color temp on a camera light. I like the ability to change it's focus on the fly without reframming the camera. Thats where the light I mention comes into play. It wasn't the price that gravitated me to this light. It was the advatanges I gained vs lights I can only control with the camera... a tool that's busy shooting.
Justin, you can find these lights with a quick google search or just swing by your local hardware store. It's white LEDs are blue so you want the one with a red LED in the middle. This is how you'll change it's color temp with it's dimmer. If you get a handful of em, you'll find you can often light full scenes in select places without having to run electricity. I've difused bright white LEDS in the field with a piece of paper before with ideal results. It's all up to the MacGyver in you.
Certainly there are situations where I'd not dare bust out the cheese in front of a client. Again though, that hasn't been the case in a year or so. Most of the time, I just have a show to make.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:23:23 pm

http://www.lcd4video.com/products/HDV%252dZ96-LED-On%252dCamera-Light-Kit.h...

On sale for $200. Much more power, longer throw.

http://www.lcd4video.com/products/R%252d3-LED-Video-Light-%252d-Panasonic.h...
On sale for $100

I actually use this light and it is amazing. They've dropped their pricing since coming out with the other lite above.

I have the expensive lighting as listed in the other posts. But you guys will be kicking yourselves whcn you buy one of these. I've even used them in a corporate interview setting. You can set up a 3 point lighting with the included warm filter, and it just looks great.

I did the same shoot earlier in the day with my Lowell Riffa soft box and lighting kit. Honestly, I'll probably only use the softbox for appearance sake, because these little lights did the job. They are alo easier to setup.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite