FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live switching for event/live streaming

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen KennedyLive switching for event/live streaming
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:32:41 pm

I’m trying to put together a solution for something, and definitely need some help and advice if anyone can offer it!

What I need to do is take feeds from four HD cameras, run them through a live switcher, with one output going straight to a live screen, another output going into a computer so it can be both recorded to the hard disk and also streamed live to the web.
Here’s what I’m imagining so far: the cameras are something like the Sony HDR-CX550VE, with component cables running into an Edirol 440 HD Live Video Switcher, which has two outputs. One will go to a live video screen – which seems simple enough. Getting the other output into the computer is where I start becoming a little confused – the output of the Edirol is component/RGB, so would need to be converted to HDMI perhaps and taken into a Mac Pro through a Black Magic Intensity card. Once it’s in the computer, I don’t yet know how the stream would be recorded and simultaneously streamed over the web – does anyone have any ideas?
The first part seems simple enough – four cameras into a switcher going out to a live screen – I’m just at a loss, even after some hours of research, exactly how it will work after that.
Any help/suggestions appreciated so much!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Live switching for event/live streaming
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:06:51 pm

Well... you *could* go all-in-one and use a Video Toaster or Tricaster HD model, which has the hard drive recording and streaming all built-in. The stream should then go to a reflector/repeater site, or too many people trying to watch direct off the Newtek could lead to trouble, I'm thinking.

If the Edirol is all you have, you are going to need a transcoder box of some sort, and a streaming computer with a video card that can use those RGB inputs. Are you going to try to stream HD? Or a down-converted wide-screen SD?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved