FORUMS: list search recent posts

N5U (nxcam) OR EX1 (excam) for events and some creative shoots

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abel AcunaN5U (nxcam) OR EX1 (excam) for events and some creative shoots
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:20:17 am

Hi, new time member.

I'm about to upgrade from my canon vixia, and I don't know if I should go with the nxcam or excam. My primary purpose would be to shoot shorts and music videos, but occasionally I shoot events and docs to fund my purchases or creative projects. The nxcam is appealing because of it's lower cost and ability to shoot longer without switching out memory cards. However, the 1/2'' sensor of the EX1 sounds incredible and at 35mbs, I imagine I could use it much longer than I would the nxcam if I remain in the world of shooting music videos and narratives. The EX1 I'm looking at would cost me 1 grand more than the N5U (a grand that I was going to spend on a wireless mic system and tripod), but it does come with loads of batteries and memory--and then I would build my memory card needs and wireless mic needs as business called for it.

Thoughts? Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: N5U (nxcam) OR EX1 (excam) for events and some creative shoots
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 8:47:37 pm

EX-1 is worth the extra grand. You may even be able to find a used one for even less.

I just did a big concert shoot with a mixed bag of cameras. The EX-1 was clearly superior in performance, quality, & image. Check out the EX / XD Cam forum here at the cow.

XD Cam format is much better and you even have the ability to record at 4:2:2 using an external recorder such as the NANO Flash should you want to add that in the future.

You'll never regret purchasing the EX1 or EX1r, and the comment about longer recording times; You have two slots that you can put 2 - 32 Gig cards and now coming to 64 Gig cards. 2 Cards give you almost 4 hours of continuious recording, and you can actually have unlimited time, by swapping out the cards during recording. When it switches to one card, you swap out the other.

YOu can now use the SD Card adaptors or the SxS-1 cards which is less expensive than the SxS card. But, the SxS performance and longevity is proven. Good Luck.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Mark GoldbergRe: N5U (nxcam) OR EX1 (excam) for events and some creative shoots
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 3:01:57 pm

I agree very much with Brett Dunn's post. However, my choice was for the NX5 for business and logistical reasons. My need was primarily for social and personal event videography. THe NX5 is a very cost effective solution which uses readily available media. If I had a more demanding application like broadcast or higher-end corporate, I'd go EX-1R or beyond.

Mark Goldberg
Spectrum Productions
Annapolis, MD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved