by on Dec 17, 2010 at 4:11:38 pm

Hi there,

I'm asked to create the following setup:
-bluekey screen (full figure)
-camera (video or photo)
-computer or mixer that composites the live image onto a graphic
-screen that displays the live output
-photo printer

Basically the idea is that, during a teambuilding, one person has to be the 'talent'. The talent stands on the greenkey. The other teammembers see him standing in the keyed shot (dessert, city, jungle) and have to give him clues on what to do. When they see a nice pose the push a button and get a picture as reminder.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: chromakey teambuilding game
by on Dec 19, 2010 at 4:14:06 pm

like a tricaster and a screen grab?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: chromakey teambuilding game
by on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:42:38 pm

There are webcam apps that will do keying. Macs can do this in iSight, and they don't need green screen, just need to grab a shot of the wall before the person walks in front of it, and it need not be blue or green, because they are using "difference keying". So a mac laptop and a USB webcam on a tripod that you can point independently of the laptop are all you would need to do this. Take video of the desktop out of the laptop thru the VGA port adapter, to a larger VGA-capable TV,or a separate computer monitor, or run the VGA output thru a 99-dollar scan converter, to a TV for the group to watch.

The mac can also make the instant grab of the still pose you want, and you can of course print that goofy pose, if you've hooked up a printer, even add titling first using iPhoto. So if you have a mac handy, you basically already have everything you need, except maybe the scan converter, which you only need if the TV can't take a VGA input. Those scan converters are pretty cheap these days. otherwise, grab someone's flat screen computer monitor and VGA cable, set the mac to mirror the desktop to the second monitor, done.

I imagine there are PC webcam apps that can do this keying stuff as well, but I'm not familiar with them. iSight comes free with the mac.

If you want to do this gig with actual video gear, it gets more complicated and expensive, because it requires owning or renting a video switcher with special effects generator, at a minimum. And to get the chromakey to work, you'll need to use better lighting, so as to get a clean key. Adobe OnLocation software I believe can pull a live key for you from a laptop connected to a video camera by firewire, but I might be wrong. Also, OnLocation is not cheap to purchase, might be too expensive for a one-off team building exercise like this. I urge the apple webcam approach be your first try.

Theoretically, the whole thing can also be done in photoshop, but you'd have some complicated steps that would not be a real-time process.

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: chromakey teambuilding game
by on Dec 28, 2010 at 5:45:47 am

You can use video equipment and it DOESN'T have to be expensive.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: chromakey teambuilding game
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 10:16:00 pm

This looks good, but doing it with just the Apple's bundled stuff is still cheaper. :-)

I'd forgotten about Boinx TV, they have made it better, I see, since the last time I checked it out. But it was always a little unclear to me which and how many elements could actually be fully live, and I'm sure that depends on what the computer you have has in the way of firewire inputs and video cards/RAM. In a lot of laptops there may be only one shared firewire bus, even if it has multiple connectors, and trying multicam with that can be hit-or miss. Yiou can add a USB camera but will it match the DV camera on the firewier port closely enough for ersolution and frame rate? This is my biggest fear and must urgent question for BoinxTV owners. Boinx looks great if you have the right computer setup to handle it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved