FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Camera for High School Basketball Program-suggestions needed

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Petteruto
Video Camera for High School Basketball Program-suggestions needed
on Dec 1, 2010 at 1:59:27 am

Hello All,

Our local high school basketball program is in the market for a new video camera. In the past their video has been really grainy. Most of the gyms are not very well lit so they need a camera that will handle low light conditions. The camera must be fairly easy for them to operate (shoot & get games onto DVD) & should be able to shoot standard definition. As with most public schools gobs of money are not available so lower cost is important (I'm thinking it must be under $1,000).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave P.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Video Camera for High School Basketball Program-suggestions needed
on Dec 1, 2010 at 9:54:36 pm

As much as that camera may have to move, I would opine that you'd be better off with one that still uses a CCD chip, versus the now very popular CMOS chip. The CMOS chip cameras can have what some call the "jello-cam" effect, where vertical lines warp during fast pans. if this camera might be used hand-held under the basket somewhere, or along the edge of the court, jello-cam may be somethign you'd see a lot of. If the camera is perched high inthe stands for the overall wider shot coverage, this might be less an issue, IMO.

You say you want an SD camera. I'm tempted to suggest you look for used 3-chip broadcast cameras, which normally might be out of your price range, but lots of people are getting rid of theirs and moving to shiny new HD cameras so this is a good time to get a higher-end SD camera with some big glass, for less money. Might want to peruse what B&H has in their used department as a general guide.

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Dec 3, 2010 at 11:56:00 pm

I agree, although not sure you need to go to broadcast level. There are lots of used Panasonic DVX100B model cameras entering the market, that do everything you describe and do it well. I sold mine a few months ago, and they brought me around $1350 each. Today I think I could find cams as nice as mine, for close to $1000 and maybe less. Most of those shooters are going DSLR and as nice as the DVX is, it's not the same as a high def DSLR would be.

Return to posts index

Dave Petteruto
on Dec 4, 2010 at 12:30:27 am

Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate your time.

Thanks
Dave P.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:25:47 pm

I do a lot of sport's recruiting video. While filming over a Disney Wide World of Sports with my $6,000 Sony EX-1, I talked to an owner of a company that films most of the basketball tournaments there.

They actually use a $200 flip cam on a tripod. It looks great and is easy to upload to your computer for transfer to DVD.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:26:42 pm

oh yeah, it's always better to film in HD, even if you are delivering in standard def. Your final output will look better.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dave Petteruto
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:18:48 pm

Hi Brent,
I have seen some video taken by a flip from the sidelines of a football game and it was pretty good stuff, but I wonder how the flip would handle the low light conditions of a high school gym?

Thanks
Dave P.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]