FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need people's resume advice!

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Lozinski
Need people's resume advice!
on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:46:10 am

Hi everyone,

I'm needing advice/suggestions on how to word a resume to enter into the field of videography/video editing when I've never held an official position as such before (but have done lots of "side projects").

My background is I.T., and I'm basically looking for a career change to get more into the video production side of things.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to go about wording such things as my "work experience", "objective", etc.

As a starting point, I currently have the following for an "objective". I'm not totally happy with it because I'd like to be able to take part in all aspects of putting together a video/movie, from brainstorming ideas to being there for parts of the shoot to actual video editing and post production.

A highly talented, energetic, and enthusiastic individual seeking to work as a Video Editor, where my creativity can be utilized to help tell a story while learning and growing in the industry.

Help! :-)

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------
http://www.davelozinski.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Need people's resume advice!
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:09:33 am

You could just copy-paste your paragraph before the sample Goal Statement; it sounds clear and honest to me.

I am a fan of super-customizing each resume you hand out, so in that case the goal statement would also mention the prospective workplace by name and job. If it is just a place where you'd be happy to do literally *anything*, go with the more generic "putting my skills to use to solve various creative communications problems".

Your challenge is that, being a primarily an "IT GUY", you need to re-cast what you've learned so it is recognized as video skillsets instead of IT skillsets. For that kind of make-over, a linear, chronological resume is not as good as the kind called a "functional resume". A Functional Resume groups like skills and experiences, regardless of their time periods, into little pseudo-narratives with a common theme. This style helps as well with careers that have some gaps in them. It is not about hiding anything or lying, but about controlling the overall context and priorities of the information, in the same way that two charts or graphs can make the same news look better or worse, depending on how the scaling and other factors are applied in one vs. the other.

Let's just make up one or two of these segments for a quick example, you need several to make this work well:

COST-CONTROL AND BUDGETING FOR RESULTS
-In my Coordinator role for xyz corp, I researched our needs and replaced numerous legacy platforms with open-source tools to reduce our operational overhead. The money we saved, I re-invested into training the staff to make the most of their new toolsets. Results: increased productivity and reduced internal costs, for the same billings. As an IT coordinator for CBA corp I effectively sourced new hardware below wholesale and handled final integration on site to save money and increase performance over stock versions of the same platforms

CREATIVE VISUAL PROBLEM-SOLVING
-As editor of a series of training videos for TUV company, I used motion graphics software to illustrate intangible, abstract concepts for which no stock footage existed. My specialty is "no-shoot spots"; making videos and commercials using sophisticated graphics that require no camera crews or expensive location shoots. The classic "something-from-nothing" scenario, bringing my client's information to life, is one of my strengths.

CLIENT RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATION
While working at GH International, I expanded my role in customer service to act as a partner with our sales department. My personal skills with clients allowed me to clearly communicate technical information and translate client needs into the technical specs used to make sales and create added value in our support packages. Customers said I "speak their language".

So, if you can look over your work experiences and re-shuffle the pieces into four or five of these, that makes the central body of the resume. The top and bottom are more or less traditional style, the top tells what you want and who you are, you set up the case you make in the middle portion, and the bottom summarizes, asks for the sale, closes the deal.

You integrate this resume with the cover letter into a 1-2 punch: the cover letter takes 4-5 (SHORT) paragraphs to 1:spell out the specific job you want, 2:why you're great for it, 3-4:make two specific references to your best two narratives in the resume that back your assertion, hints at more details in the resume, and 5: the last paragraph actually asks for the interview (so many people forget this) and restates contact info, including the URL for your online reel. The cover letter is supposed to make you stand out as distinctive and get the reader to actually look at the resume for more info. So use it the same way the trailer for a movie teases the actual movie. You are hired by PEOPLE, so you have to engage on a PERSONAL level.

Make each resume and cover letter targeted and customized. Try not to make one generic version; do the extra work to make it individual to each opening. For each position, you'll probably expand some sections of those narratives, and re-prioritize or maybe skip or shorten others. The modular nature of this format makes that easy to do in a word processor. Just like re-editing an NLE sequence of shots.

Best of luck. The bulk of editors I think come in thru the "creative artist" door, but some come in thru the kitchen doors as "the guy that edits but also knows how all the hardware works, so it stays running". Market yourself, then, as a "2-for-the price of 1" kind of guy. I think you probably need to be able to show a cert as proof of "mad hardware skilz". But after all of that, even a killer resume, your success will be based on your reel. Don't shirk the other things like cover letters and resumes, consider them part of an overall suite of tools in the effort to get them to like you. But the reel in this business is make or break today. It is the fastest way to gauge if the stuff you wrote is BS or true. A bad reel makes the rest of the effort moot.

I was lucky years ago, and got hired based on the resume/cover, and a great live interview experience where I was able to demonstrate everything they needed to know about me. The boss never looked at my reel until years later - which was probably lucky for me, in retrospect:-). Today, I don't think it can happen like that; with all the stiff competition out there, the reel, online and in DVD format, is the card that gets you in the door to present the resume. That's not always fair because you can have more talents than the reel can show, and too many people hiring only think you can do what is actually on the reel. Reel content strategies are a whole specialty to themselves. Have several targeted types customized for specific things they are looking for.

Return to posts index

Dave Lozinski
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:14:38 am

Hi Mark,

I've come up with the following, but the part I'm having the hardest time with is, as you put it, actually asking for the interview.

Any more great suggestions?

I am seeking a position in video editing and production of T.V. shows, movies, or other videos. I would like to be involved from the brainstorming at the beginning to the final end product.

I love using my creative energy and zest for life to transform seemingly ordinary events into incredible experiences everyone wants to partake in.

I also have a solid I.T. background with multiple certifications; not only am I able to produce videos, I can write programs and keep the hardware and software running as well.

I hope that this DVD demonstrates that I can produce videos and conveys the "Fun Factor" that I can bring to your team.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 21, 2010 at 2:58:34 pm

I take it that this is your cover letter. If I could make some suggestions:

Dear NAME:

When I heard about your opening for a (JOB TITLE HERE), I knew you would want to consider my resume (enclosed). My creative and technical skills allow me to work on all aspects of your projects, from concept thru completion.

I love using my creative energy and zest for life to transform seemingly ordinary events into incredible experiences everyone wants to partake in. You can see from my experience working for XYZ corporation and others that my talent for working on "no-shoot spots" is a good fit with the requirements you've posted.

I also have a solid I.T. background with multiple certifications, so not only am I able to produce and edit videos; I can write custom programs and plug-ins for specific results and keep the editing hardware and software running as well.

The included DVD demonstrates that I can produce videos and conveys the "Fun Factor" that I can bring to your team. I look forward to discussing with you in detail how I can help (company name). I will call your office next Monday to schedule an appointment, where we can discuss your needs further.

Thanks for your time,
(signature)

Then without fail, you WILL make that phone call at exactly the time you say you will. Even if they don't put you thru, you leave a message that you called.

Quadruple-check the cover letter and resume for typos, misspellings, grammatical errors, etc. Video jobs are about a commitment to precision in timing and result, so a cover or res which you should have slaved over in loving detail, that still has mistakes, shows you either don't want it bad enough, or are not yet up to the job. If you can't get it right on something over which you have all the control and time in the world to handle, how would you handle real-world hard deadlines and accuracy requirements, under the gun? So, rule 1 is "sweat the details".

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:10:40 pm

There is no need to have "objective" in your resaume at all. Time is dimes and they already know your onjective is to get a gig with em, hence their holding your resume. List your employment and highlight all the things you have done that will result in profit for the resume reader. Boast an awesome reel. Rock the interview.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 16, 2010 at 9:00:18 pm

That sounds like an old Steve Martin bit, "How to Become a Millionaire, and Never Pay a Dime in taxes"

Step 1: Get a million bucks.

Step 2: Don't pay your taxes. If they ask where the money is, say "I forgot".

My way is a little more conventional, because not everyone is a rockstar editor like my G-man here.

Return to posts index

Dave Lozinski
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:01:54 am

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your advice. It was really helpful and inspiring!

Yeah, would love to have a million bucks so I could take G-man's approach. :-)

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:52:01 pm

Keep in mind most are wanting to hire a rock star.
You'll have to become one to be one.
I can send you my resume if you like. I'll not call it a template but that's the point. Adhere to no templates so you stand out as they sift through a pile of templates they throw in the trash.

Return to posts index

Dave Lozinski
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:56:01 am

If you could post it (or part of it) that would be great! Thanks!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 27, 2010 at 7:56:52 pm

emailed...

Return to posts index

Dave Lozinski
on Nov 29, 2010 at 7:13:03 am

Thanks!

I tried clicking on the link:

http://grinnerhester.com/resume.pdf

and it says, "The requested URL /resume.pdf was not found on this server."

Hopefully you don't have such issues when emailing out the link to your reel to potential clients? ;-)

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 29, 2010 at 6:08:34 pm

naaa, I attach it when needed. I tend to pull down private links when someone publicly posts them without permission.
I think you should proceed with a resume for a creative position that begins with objective and is multiple pages long. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]