FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning Blu-Ray

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bryan
Burning Blu-Ray
on Oct 22, 2010 at 5:51:15 pm

Hey everyone,

I am a wedding videographer and I just made the jump to HD, now I have to produce my first batch of Blu-Ray discs! I thought it would be easy but it's not!

I edit on FCP7. Generally I add chapter markers in the timeline in FCP and export the file with chapter markers.

What I need is a simple DVD with a play button and a chapter menu that includes the names of each chapter.

What's the best way to do this? How are you other wedding videographers producing your blu-ray discs?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Burning Blu-Ray
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:47:12 pm

Most people I've met on the COW author their bluray disks using Adobe, Episode or a PC-based setup. I'm led to understand not to expect much in Apple's BD authoring/export beyond making a simple one-track disk with a very basic menu. For wehat I need it to do, which would be straight news or a commecial spot, that's currently enough, barely, but really, Apple is eating Adobe's dust in this regard.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:42:57 am

I've been making BDs for two-and-a-half years, using Sony's DVD Architect on Windows. Yeah, you're in trouble if you're look to Apple for BD support... unfortunately, many of the media content creation software companies throw their specific politics into action in their software. For example, Sony put "3D" editing into the new release of Vegas... because Sony's pushing really, really hard to market stereoscopic TVs, BD players, and software... not because most of us Vegas users wouldn't have found more value in, say, GPU-accelerated editing/compositing (which is what Adobe users got in their last upgrade).

Apple believes the follow up to the DVD is the iPod/Apple TV, not the Blu-Ray. On the Mac PC, you're probably better off looking at Encore. On the PC, pretty much every DVD authoring package now does Blu-Ray to some extent... even the super low end stuff. With DVD Architect, you get a very DVD-like model for Blu-Ray, and it's almost a no brainer changing a DVD project to Blu-Ray, or vice-versa. This is particularly useful when you're authoring for a wedding or other event... there's very little extra work supporting both video disc formats.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:25:07 pm

Most mac guys I think use Toast to burn their BD with unless they need more horsepower than toast delivers.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 26, 2010 at 7:40:20 am

I think the real issue would be authoring BDs, not just burning them. That's technically possible in Toast, but not something that would produce professional quality wedding discs. Looks fairly similar to what you get with the Nero suite on the PC -- a solid disc burning tool, and a bunch of throw-away extras (not useless, just worse than anything you'd actually buy for this specific purpose).

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]