FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar PadillaAdvice
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 11:42:08 pm

Hi all, first i apologize for my enlglish i understand very well but i have problem when i try to say somenthing.

Im new in the video field,i just finish some courses on production and use of cameras. I want to offer new services for my clients in the town, and now i want to buy a new camcorder but i dont know what is the best, i have this 3 options:

1. sony HDR-XR550V
2. sony HXR-MC50U
3. panasonic HDC-HS700K

I ask for your help, to help me choose the best option and why, and if u know a better one in that price range just tell me, i know that you know a lot about this better than me, and i could not find anyone in my town who can help me. Thanks for all

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Advice
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 2:23:33 pm

Omar, describe with more detail the type of jobs you will do with the cameras, and we can give better suggestions.

Return to posts index

Omar PadillaRe: Advice
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:11:31 pm

Hi Mark, thanks
My primary goal is corporate videos for companies and on the other hand for events like weddings and graduations.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:03:35 pm

Of the three you listed choices 2 and 3 are the one I favor, though I might go another way than hard disk recording and AVCHD or H264 recording. Depends on if your editing system can natively work with the format, or will you spend a lot of time converting for the edit. That will be inefficient if you do a lot of weddings.

And I remain a little suspicious of CMOS chips regarding motion artifacts. In corporate work, probably not an issue, but for weddings, motion artifacts like the "jello wobble" could happen during dances at the receptions.

Weddings are more critical for the low-light ability of a camera, and also the camera with the most flexibility and control over audio inputs usually gets my vote. Audio is usually a stepchild in these event videos, and that's where the pros distinguish their product most; your customer can bear a poor visual quality of the sound is excellent, but never the reverse of that situation.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:49:18 pm

Wow Mark thanks for that, i just read your profile and you are a super pro :D, is soo good have some advices from you.
I have some doubts, some people have told me that a DSLR is a better option, and they tell me the canon 7d is a good one, i've never recorded with one of those, but I read somewhere "for video is better just a video camera" What Do You Think About That, i have between $1000 and arround $2200 and just one chance, i would not be wrong.
If you know any other better than the ones in my options would be perfect too.
I appreciate all your help.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:02:04 pm

I'm just one guy with an opinion; I can and have been wrong before, but if what I said helps, great.

As far as DSLR's for video, my opinion is that these are not what I'd use myself for wedding work. Not that they can't do a great job; they can, especially in the hands of someone with a lot of experience. But not for me.

DSLR's in my opinion tend to need a lot of accessories to make them work, a lot of fiddling and tweaking. While this is not an issue for film-making, where you control every aspect of production, my feeling is that for events work like weddings, where time is not under your control, and you must be ready to react to any shooting situation or opportunity, you should approach it with an attitude of "ready for anything" news photography.

I want a camera for that job that is ready to "rock and roll", with presets as well as controls suited to working fast and loose, not something that looks and feels like a lab bench experiment, needing a lot of aftermarket bits and pieces to do the same job a purpose-built ENG/EFP type camera does. My fuddy-duddy opinion on this will evolve, I'm sure, because the DSLR makers knows a lot of people feel as I do, and they are re-configuring DSLR "guts" into a form factor more like familiar news style cameras. This could turn out to be the best of both worlds, but I want to give that some more time to work the bugs out before I would commit to purchase.

As far as your corporate work, this is more a marketing and perception issue, but to many uneducated clients, they don't think you're "professional" unless your camera is big and black, and has a useless but stylish matte box plus French Flag on the front, plus a huge and ostentatious viewfinder extension and other bric-a-brac hanging off of it. Almost none of which is needed for most corporate type work. The DSLR without all the accessories may not impress them, but with all the toys attached, may be overkill and certainly hard to afford.

I am one of those guys that doesn't care to own a "pro" camera. Seems weird, but you know, I don't think most Hollywood cameramen "own" a Panavision either. My own reasoning is that the camera is just a tool for storytelling, and not a fetish object. It is only of use to me during the time we are shooting and billing for it. To buy it and watch it depreciate on a shelf six days out of seven depresses me. So I am lucky that I live in an area with pro sources and contacts, so I can rent good pro gear as and when I need. This lets me rent the gear most appropriate to each job I want to do, for just tie period of time I need it, and the camera is always the latest thing, or close to it. I pass on the rental costs to my client, but I don't have to worry about maintenance or depreciation. So if I have a paying job, the camera is thus essentially "free" to me. You can usually rent a better camera than you can buy, for the same amount of money. Rental also lets you try many before you settle on the kind you like best, so you're not stuck with one you don't like. Now there are reasons to own a camera outright, especially if you need the scheduling flexibility to grab and go on ten minute's notice. But that's not my life.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2010 at 4:52:05 pm

Thanks a lot Mark, i think the same thing you're saying, is all about talent, in the other hand here in my town there is no rent, i must try to get some more money and get the panasonic and one dslr, and later save for new accessories and lens. If i can't get more money then just the panasonic, I think that this camera can help a lot in the meantime. Thank for all your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved