FORUMS: list search recent posts

PIP/Split Screen - Dance Recital Quagmire (cross posted in Sony Vegas Forum)

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell RobertsonPIP/Split Screen - Dance Recital Quagmire (cross posted in Sony Vegas Forum)
by on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:10:22 pm

Hi everyone,

(since I’m using Sony Vegas to edit, I originally posted this in the Vegas Forum. However since the main topic is a dance recital, I’m sure many of you faced similar dilemmas)

I’m looking to create a quick workflow action/command/whatever to make a PIP/split screen – with the final result dividing the screen approx. 50/50 and a soft/feather like divider between the two. (horizontal division)

This past weekend I shot the ubiquitous dance recital. It was a fairly elaborate (4cam (EX1Rs), SD60i 16:9) shoot. Ideally I’d like to intersperse a split screen of a full group shot (bottom layer) with a panning CU shot riding above (top layer). I use Ultimate S Quad Cam as my editing foundation.

I’m ultimately trying to solve the endless dilemma of … “How to please all the mommies with some face time of their little darling (only slightly cynical here, they were all pretty cute – as a dad to 2 little girls myself, been-there-done-that, appreciate the long term value of such a final product) with capturing the essence of the group dance.”

Any suggestions, comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

RR

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: PIP/Split Screen - Dance Recital Quagmire (cross posted in Sony Vegas Forum)
by on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:11:24 pm

The 16:9 frame lends itself well to a split screen that is one-third and two-thirds. I would try putting the wider shot in the two-thirds box, where the 16:9 dimensions still work, just play "smaller", and your close-up feature pieces (in synch with the wide shot) you would put in the "one-third" hole. This also gives you the ability to pan and zoom the 16x9 source of the close-ups to crop and compose well within that more square one-thirds box.

Ultimately, you have to commit to one thing or the other: the dance overall as what it is, or a video facebook of the kids. Next time, what I'd advise is, make two such vids: shoot a rehearsal that's all the facebook shots and close-ups, and shoot the actual performance more conventionally. Let the parents have the "bonus material" on the same DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]