FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film conversion for Beta output

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee BurrowsFilm conversion for Beta output
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:17:24 pm

If I am shooting a PSA on film and would need the final version edited to Beta. What format should the film be converted to in order to edit while still preserving the quality of the original footage.

I'm editing on Final Cut Pro.

Mac OS X (10.4.10)
Dual 2 GHz Processor
Power PC G5
FCP 5.1.4
Black Magic Decklink Extreme
Sony UVW 1800
Motion 3

Mac OS X (10.5.6)
16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Dual 2X3 GHz Dual Core intel Xeon
AJA Kona LHe

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Film conversion for Beta output
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 4:16:47 pm

to whatever kind of player you have. Most take it to Dbeta and many dislike it's 2:1 compression (which is not seen). Sounds like you are wanting to take it to Beta sp, right? Component, uncompressed... no worries other than drop outs so just have em lay it off twice for ya.

Return to posts index

Christopher KinsmanRe: Film conversion for Beta output
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:30:31 am

Hey Lee,
See if your telecine house or lab will scan it for you to a QT file. Apple pro res HQ for FW800 drives (e sata recommended!) Put it on a hard-drive, bring it home, edit, then output to tape or walk the qt to a online house that can master to tape for you.
If going to betasp then here are some choices.
If you want 4X3 full frame make sure you shoot everything 4x3 safe and edit titles at 4X3 safe, then crop edges on output to tape.
If you want widescreen then 4x3 letterbox is your output to tape.
If you ever have the need to go HD, you can master from same QT, just adjust titles to HD safe (more room to work with)
I advise cutting in an HD timeline and let the Kona Card or your Online house do the down-convert to SD for Digi/BetaSP layoff.
Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,

Return to posts index

Steve EisenRe: Film conversion for Beta output
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 1:28:07 am

FW800 is way to slow for ProRes HQ. You need a very fast 4 drive esata RAID minimum.

ProRes will work fine to Beta SP.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved