FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas HughesRecording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:25:58 pm

We shoot a lot of weddings, primarily on XDCAM disc. We have packages that include authored DVDs, then we have less expensive packages that don't include a chaptered DVD, very popular during the down economy. For the ones that don't include an authored DVD, we cut them on FC then dub a hi-res archive copy to XDCAM disc in real time. At the same time, we record a 16X9 SD DVD using a desktop DVD player/recorder. Up to this point it’s a very efficient workflow.

Here's where it gets a little less efficient. We can't just give the client the dubbed DVD because it has an unprofessional looking menu at the beginning that the DVD recorder automatically puts on there. So we quickly load it to a PC and "demux" it, essentially removing the cheap menu and creating another DVD. I'm not the one who does that but I think it's a quick process to load it to the PC, then the PC takes about ten mins to do it. It just seems like an archaic, inefficient process to have to make this additional DVD.

Does anyone have an idea for removing this step? Ie is there a desktop 16X9 SD DVD player/recorder that will record without the cheap menu at the beginning? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Recording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu
by on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:30:15 pm

Panasonic DMR-E85H is your answer. Cheesy or non-cheesy first play, your choice during finalizing.

Return to posts index

Asmund Voll TesdalRe: Recording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu
by on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:01:33 pm

Have you considered just doing it in DVDstudio pro? I'm assuming that's what you're using, since you mentioned final cut. "Authoring" a dvd with no menu, that will just start playing your video when played, takes just a few minutes. If you make a simple template, it could be as simple as bringing in your video and audio, dragging it into the track and naming the disc.

You will of course have to encode to mpeg by doing it this way, and if that comes in addition to having to play out to xdcam the total time your machine is in use will increase. But you might save some work time, and if you can do the encodes overnight it might be a better workflow for you. (Also, I would assume a 2-pass encode in compressor should give a better result than most dvd-recorders.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved