FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stage event 3 x cameras

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Viking Jonsson
Stage event 3 x cameras
on Aug 1, 2010 at 9:29:20 pm

Hello,

I have posted a contribution in one of the broadcast forums and now I saw this forum, which fits my question better.

I'm going to film an event with low budget. The event involves a stage with three persons and an audience.
The audience is going to affect what happens on stage. The location is small and it is outside from 2pm - 3 pm, only one hour and with a lot of day light.

I am going to use 3x Panasonic DVX100, tripods, microphones, headphones.
Im going to use 1 camera to take wide shots and this camera will also be connected to the sound mixer booth, to pick up sound.

The two other cameras will get close ups/medium shot of the person in action.

My goal is to get an good acceptable 45 minute show from this.

Is it possible to get in such good quality that it could be broadcasted?
When I asked in the broadcast forum I was told that the sound could be bad, is this true?

regards
viking

Named after Viking Eggeling

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
Re: Stage event 3 x cameras
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:10:51 am

My experience with board feeds, you are at the mercy of the guy running the board and what HE thinks sounds right, for the venue HE is at. The sound guy has one goal, make sure the people who are in front of the speakers RIGHT NOW hear the best quality that fits the occasion, not concerning himself with what might happen with the audio later on. Also in an uncontrolled outside environment you could have unwanted sounds from the audience, nearby roads, wind noise....any number of issues. Not that it couldn't all be cleaned up and made broadcast quality, but that could become someone's vocation as far as how long it might take to accomplish.

I think I would have to go along with the broadcast board and give you a 1 in 10 chance of getting something good enough, even after cleaning it up, for broadcast.

Return to posts index

Viking Jonsson
on Aug 2, 2010 at 10:44:29 am

Thank you Chip.
Well it doesn't sound to good.. How about hiring a boom operator? Or is there any other way to tackle this?

Regards
Viking

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:43:15 pm

Here's some ideas...

Borrow/rent or somehow obtain three wireless lapel mics and get your three people on the stage to wear them; keep the receivers hooked up to your two roaming DVX cameras. Use the audio board feed hooked to the wide shot camera as you planned for a backup only. Edit and mix together in post. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the sound man as mentioned.

Return to posts index

Viking Jonsson
on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:53:09 pm

Thank you for all advice.
I told the event manager that every time they wanted more the quality would be less.
And I used your advice as arguments and now I'm going to make a part of a programme instead.

So now I have new problems...

Everything is the same but now Im going to have one camera to operate myself.

Is there anything I should think of when filming?
I don't want to have bad audio..

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:21:22 pm

When you say BROADCAST Viking, I assume you mean to be broadcast commercially as in being seen on a major TV network or in a Film in the theater.

Why not fill us in more on what this is going to be used for, how and where it will be shown, and who the intended audience is for this project ???

Depending on the answers to these, we could be giving advice that is overkill for what you actually are wanting to accomplish.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]