FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean KendallBest Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 2:10:47 pm

I do wedding videos and I'm currently using a Senneiser EW 100-ENG G2 mic system. It's excellent, but I need a second wireless lapel mic and was wondering what everyone else was using, or what you might suggest. I'd like to find something that has the same abilities as the G2, but for a less expensive price.

Been looking at some Audio Technica models, but the receivers are quite a bit more bulky. I'd like to have a wireless XLR Plug-on pack included like the G2 system offers, but it isn't essential.

Currently, my primary camera is a Panasonic DVX-100B, but I plan to move up to either the HVX-200 or a Panasonic AVCHD model.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:04:21 pm

Look at the Zaxcoms, they also record a back-up copy to an on-board SD card.

Return to posts index

Sean KendallRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 6:16:53 pm

I checked out the Zaxcom TRX900LT which is the one that will record to a MicroSD card and it retails for around $1,500 for the transmitter alone. A little too pricey for me at the moment, but I'd definitely be interested in one down the road.

Does anyone else have any others they'd suggest?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 10:25:17 pm

I've got tripods and lenses that cost more than that. Sure, you can buy a whole camcorder for that much. But how much does peace of mind cost? How much would you have to refund an angry bridezilla if you lost the audio of the vows because of a glitch on a cheaper setup? 1500 could actually work out pretty cheap, considering. Also, consider this as an investment that you can pay off in a couple of gigs. People forgive some pretty bad video, as long as the sound is good, but they will not sit still very long at all to watch a video with bad audio.

Return to posts index

Sean KendallRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:33:33 pm

That's true, but I currently record from two separate mics (one on the groom and one on the pastor) to two separate cameras, as well as a shotgun on each camera.

I will make that a top priority as far as equipment goes, but I'm just getting started right at the moment and can't afford it. People have done wedding videos for a long time without that SD card technology, but you're right, I'm sure there have been some bridezilla situations in the past.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 7:46:04 pm

Pick your favorite. There isn't a best.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:29:54 pm

If you have the G2 and are happy with it, going backwards to a Audio Technica, the differences in quality and features will become real apparent to you almost immediately. My largest concern would be a recognizable difference in audio quality, when you have both samples, back to back in your finished video. IMO, you are going to want each wireless feeds to "sound" the same, to keep it from becoming annoying when viewed. You wouldn't want the groom to be crystal clear and the guy standing right next to him, marrying them, to sound anything but exactly the same. Same gain, same clarity, same, same same. If not, it could easily appear as if one set of audio was dubbed in after the fact, and poorly done at that.

I have a friend who uses the Audio Technicas as a matched pair, and is very happy with them. He also uses a Rode shotgun to grab ambient, to fill out the "sound" he uses.

Return to posts index

Natalie NealRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Aug 1, 2010 at 11:15:18 pm

We like the Sony Mic systems that we use - they do a great job. It thinkt hey run about $500 if I am not mistaken....

Return to posts index

James DowRe: Best Wireless Mic System for Wedding Videos
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:31:42 pm

I was using the Sennheiser SK100 G2 system until recently. I just learned that because of the digital conversion of TV stations, all wireless mics that operate in the 700 megahertz range are now illegal.
But hey, Sennheiser will give me $70 towards a new $1,000 mic.

Too bad I didn't pay attention sooner, so I could have budgeted for a new mic for this year.

JPD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]