FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Camera Operator

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James NavarroVideo Camera Operator
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:26:07 am

I am interested in doing event videography and handling the camera in general. I own my own camera, the Sony pd150. The way I use it is amateurish, by mostly pointing and shooting, which I know isn't good. I have been messing with the manual settings, but I don't quite understand what settings to have the camera on during certain shooting conditions. Such as shooting outdoors/indoors, shooting in low light condition, etc. I really want to understand the technical side of video cameras. I was wondering if there are any good books or tutorials I can purchase or watch? I cannot seem to find to many classes where I live. Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Video Camera Operator
by on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:39:32 pm

Try the sites for videouniversity, DJTV at Digital Juice, and DV magazine. Those will get you started for free.

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Video Camera Operator
by on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:33:45 pm

The PD-150 is not a bad camera, presuming it's still in good working order. (It is several "generations" old by now.)

Experiment with it. See what it does in different situations. Take notes and observe the results. Change one thing at a time.

Do set gain and shutter to manual and leave them there, so they won't auto-shift on you when conditions change.

And put it on a decent set of legs. It can be a pretty decent camera within its comfort zone.

Return to posts index

Bruce BorowskyRe: Video Camera Operator
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 2:50:49 pm

The best thing you can do is shoot, shoot, shoot. Nothing takes the place of getting plain, old-fashioned experience. Have friends pose for you; practice shooting interviews with them, and then watvching it back and seeing what you could do better. However, if you're looking for an actual class to help get you to a point where it sounds like you'd like to be, than, without sounding like a commercial, there's a one-week program that will give you EXACTLY what it sounds like you are looking for! It's the Transitions Video Production class at; good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved