FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing frame rates in FCP?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WrightMixing frame rates in FCP?
by on May 31, 2010 at 6:17:27 pm

Hey everyone -

I'm shooting my friends no-budget wedding this Friday, as a wedding gift/promo piece for my business. I'll be shooting with my Panasonic HPX370 and a borrowed Nikon D300s still camera that shoots 720p/24 video.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to shoot 30p for wedding/event video. My question is, when shooting multi-camera for the ceremony, is it possible to mix the 30p and 24p footage in FCP and make it look good? The Nikon 24p footage will simply be an unmanned static shot at the rear of the venue, and will not be used at the reception at all.

In this case, should I go ahead and shoot 30p on my Panasonic for everything else, and mix it later, or should I shoot the entire event at 24p?

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Mixing frame rates in FCP?
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:08:56 pm

Final Cut will do just fine. If you drop 24p video onto a 30p sequence it'll do the math and work out which frames need to be repeated.

So technically, you'll be fine.

Aesthetically, however, you may find that each camera looks a bit different from the other. It may not work too well to have your video switching back and forth between these two differen "looks."

But one point in your favor is that ceremonies don't contain much motion. If you're 24p shot is the un-manned back camera...well then it might not be too obvious.

So it could work out. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but just that you should do some test shots and edit them together so you can decide for yourself.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:15:23 pm

Here's another idea...

Shoot the ceremony at 24p on both cameras and then switch to 30p for the reception.

I think 24p looks lovely and romantic for shots of wedding vows and flower girls and whatnot. But it's not really as critical for line dancing bridesmaids and drinking games.

So if you make a clean break at some point (say, when the recessional organ music ends) then switching from one frame rate to another wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

I've never done this, but now that I've thought of it, I kind of like it. It's kind of like a photographer shooting color and black and white images during the day...different looks for different parts of the wedding.

Just another idea to consider...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:31:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. If I do end up using the Nikon I'll probably do just that – shoot the ceremony in 24p and the reception in 30p. Turns out the Nikon may be unavailable after all though... I might end up asking for some sort of discount on a rental HPX170 at the shop that I bought my HPX370 at, and just eat the costs in order to get a much better video.

We'll see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved