FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitizing Deck Terminology and Recommendations

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin WhitneyDigitizing Deck Terminology and Recommendations
by on May 19, 2010 at 5:16:32 pm

First of all, my apologies - I'm quite sure this question has been answered and that this is probably the wrong forum. But this is one of those cases where I don't know enough even to formulate the question, much less to google it myself.

I've seen and worked with high-speed digitizing decks for mini-DV and combo decks that add a VHS bay but I have no idea the make and model of them. What is the correct terminology for these decks (I'm thinking "high speed digitizers" isn't quite right)? And second, where should I start looking for prosumer and pro grade decks? I'm going to be digitizing VHS tapes on an ongoing basis but the Best Buy gadgets that you plug into a VCR don't quite make the grade.

Thanks. And please don't bite the newbie.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Digitizing Deck Terminology and Recommendations
by on May 19, 2010 at 10:18:16 pm

The only faster-than-real-time DV dubbing unit I'd ever heard of was a special computer-based drive Panasonic used to make for their NLE systems, that could ingest/import a DVC pro tape for editing at twice real time speed. it was expensive at the time and only worked with DVC Pro tapes. I used to work with high-speed audio dubbers for reel-to-reel and audiocassette tape long ago when you cut tape with a Gillete single-edged razor blade... but have never laid eyes on a video version of these. I guess I gotta get out more often:-)

I have a DVD/VHS combo unit at home that dubs bi-directionally, but only in real time. At work, we have DVD duplicator towers that will do high-speed DVD dubs, from a DVD master, ten at a time, in about 2 minutes per run.

But I'm unfamilar with what you're describing here, sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved