FORUMS: list search recent posts

any small town guys out there?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Millerany small town guys out there?
by on May 4, 2010 at 8:01:06 pm

I live in a town of 18,000. a county population of 80,000. My town is the largest in the area. Is anyone making a living in shall we say rural America, or is the industry stuck in the metro areas with the big boys?

Return to posts index

John BaldinoRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 5, 2010 at 11:10:11 am

I think there are a lot of factors that come into play here, not just raw population statistics. If you are starting a new business and are trying to assess the viability of your area for finding clients (as I'm currently doing) you need to consider things like a) how many other businesses in your area you are competing against b) does your area have a high ratio of your target client demographic (ie if you are offering wedding videography you probably aren't going to have much success if your town is mostly older retired couples), etc. These things all need to be weighed in tandem with the consideration of the size of your area.

I would say its true that by most counts 18,000 people is a very small town, but if you're the only guy who is doing what you offer, then you may be in a favorable position. Being a big fish in a small pond can be lucrative, although if you are going to be a small fish either way, the bigger cities are your best bet. I think LA is super over-saturated right now, but many of the mid-sized cities are doing okay. And it really depends on the kind of work you are doing. Wedding videographers are pretty much everywhere, but that's because there is always a market for it.

I'm actually based in the Portland (NW) area right now, which is okay, but because I'm trying to focus on business/band promos, the prospect of long-term sustainable income is still a bit dubious.

In any case, best of luck to you.

Return to posts index

Richard MillerRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 5, 2010 at 6:50:46 pm

thank you for your responce. You confirmed what I had already concluded. I have a few more questions, but dont want to hyjack my own thread.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 7, 2010 at 4:40:44 am

IMO, it isn't so much the size of the market as the perception of what value video has to your potential clients.

I live in a rather conservative area, maybe frugal is a better word.... ok....let's just get down to brass tacks....they are outright tightwads here !!!!

My county has 250,000 and already has wedding video companies in business. From what I have seen, no one is "killing 'em" and working every weekend, or even close. I did an internet competitor search and came away with maybe 20 within 50 miles. My county would have a radius from here of about 20 miles tops. In that 50 mile radius, the population also easily swells upwards to 400,000 total, including my county.

Last year, my county alone issued approx. 1900 marriage licenses. Within that 50 mile radius, I would assume that could easily be doubled.

With around 4000 weddings in a year's time, you would think this market would have many more than 20 videographers. It doesn't.

But then... we have been accused of being 10 years behind the coasts in just about everything else, no reason for video to be much different.

We began doing some promo work for local bands. Like weddings, they liked the idea of having video.... right up until the discussion of actually paying for it came up.

So, if where you are located, if you have people who realize the value of what you are offering, size shouldn't be too much of a problem, compared to the mentality issues I have in my market.

Return to posts index

David StembridgeRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 6, 2010 at 2:03:33 am

I live in SE Georgia in a small county of about 23,000, it took several years after moving here from metro Atlanta to get established. Most of our work is in areas between our community, and the next large city, roughly 45 miles away.

We moved here because of a sick relative; and decided to stay. We didn't do much research, guess you could say it was a step of faith. It has been a great decision, and now we are looking at ways to keep equipment up to speed, to keep up with increasing workloads.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 7, 2010 at 1:56:58 am

In this high band width world, location means less and less. Back in the day, I had to relocate to where the gigs were. Today, very few of my clients are in town.

Return to posts index

John BaldinoRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 7, 2010 at 5:59:55 am

I agree with what's been said here... very encouraging stuff!

GoboMedia, LLC (under construction)

"Philosophy is questioning without answers; religion is answers without questioning." - Anonymous

Return to posts index

steven childsRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 18, 2010 at 2:33:01 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do, but there are a lot of markets you can tap into no matter where you live. You can submit to festivals, get grants and other contracts or whatever. I don't know how close the closest city is to you, but you might think about tapping into that. Most producers I know are always traveling to one place or another anyway.

There are lots of opportunities on the internets too.

Return to posts index

David DekeRe: any small town guys out there?
by on May 30, 2010 at 4:43:26 am

Rock And A Hard Place. You're going to have to research and reach out to the closest town with a greater populations. I used to have to travel to Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington for business, from Myrtle Beach. It used to be a ghost town, after Labor Day, but that's changed.

Anyway, another suggestion is finding clients online on video sharing sites, and contact them to send you raw video clips and work out a deal to edit those clips and make a dvd for them. You'll have to think outside the box, think of unusual ways to make money to survive.

I like the idea of going after local musicians,(from a previous post) to promote their bands and events.

PM me if you need more ideas.

Smart People Do It With Video!

Return to posts index

Linda O'ConnellRe: any small town guys out there?
by on Jun 26, 2010 at 1:26:51 pm

My "city" is 100,000 people. It is a very frugal midwestern town. There are 2 major competitors in my area. What I have found is I need to do try to offer a range of services in order to exist. I shot weddings, transfer film, VHS, DV tapes, slideshows and corporate videos. I don't do events. (My competitors do) So you may have to broaden your scope to make it work.
What I have found in the smaller towns is they are not as technical savvy therefore they may need you more.
I try to remember that "I can't do everything for everyone." but it is hard to walk away from anything!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved