FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recital Broadcast Backstage

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James GagnonRecital Broadcast Backstage
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:47:23 pm

I am filming a dance recital and they would like to have a tv backstage showing the live show. Can anyone help with what the best way to do this might be?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:44:15 pm

Keep it simple with a locked-down wide shot from a dedicated camera, feeding standard definition video to the monitor. How you feed to backstage is up to the budget and other rules they give you.

It could be a wireless link (try supercircuits.com for some ideas on cams and transmitter-reciever combos).

It could be done with conventional coaxial video cable, composite NTSC.

If you're not too worried about broadcast quality, you can run it very cheaply over long distance using telephone cable and a device called a video balun. Try Markertek for the balun.

You could use a webcam and wireless internet, but this would introduce delays between what happens on satge and what the see backstage, and it has many more possible failure points along the signal path to the viweers so I would tend not to want to go that route.

Return to posts index

James GagnonRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:12:30 pm

Thanks Mark. If I go the supercircuit route...is there a transmitter and receiver system you would recommend...the locked down wide angle will be pretty far from the back stage area...

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:40:57 pm

2.4 gigahertz as I understand it is the band reserved for unlicensed civilian usage. Such things as spread-spectrum radio controls for model airplanes operate in that band, I know, and maybe FRS walkie-talkies. So, some potential for interference there. I'm not well-versed in the details, but my understanding is that the higher-band and higher-power systems require some permits. They are also going to be pricey, but maybe you can rent a system locally.

One of the brands I have always heard good things about is Trango. (their logo looks a little like Avid's old logo.)

Baluns can work with cat-5 cable and runs of a thousand feet are not unheard of, especially if the balun comes with an amplifier. The cat-5 can be cheaper than coax (depends on the coax). Myself, I would still prefer a hardwired solution; pretty bulletproof and tried-and true, if you can get it installed ahead of time. Though wireless may be more flexible in terms of siting the ends of the signal chain.

The theater might like keeping it once installed; see if you can work a deal for them to split some of the installation cost and keep the cable and balun there. Then they just need to hire in the TV and camera as needed. Might get you a repeating gig out of that service. Upsell, baby, UP-SELL! :-)

Return to posts index

Chuck PullenRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on May 5, 2010 at 1:27:03 pm

I second (or third) the hard wired route. The 2.4 GHz wireless systems have been decimated by WLAN so don't count on having a channel available unless you're out in the middle of nowhere. I have had some success with RF modulators/DA's & home theater whatnots from Radio Shack/Best Buy You can pick up a couple hundred feet of RG-6 if you don't want to order some real Belden coax.

Chuck

Return to posts index

James GagnonRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:53:07 pm

Perfect! Going to go hard wired. Now what hookup/adaptor will I need for the RG-6 to get the audio and video out of the camera?

Return to posts index

Chuck PullenRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:19:30 pm

Here's all you need to do. Take the 3 RCA's out of your camera, plug them into an RF modulator. Get as much RG-6 as you need to make it to that tv, put in on channel 3 or 4 and you're done.

You'll probably have a little hum if you run more than a hundred feet, but since it's just a que monitor, I don't think anyone will complain. Everything you need should be at Radio Shack, Best Buy, or even Walmart for about $50 or $75,

Chuck

Return to posts index

Joel ServetzRe: Recital Broadcast Backstage
by on May 1, 2010 at 12:32:35 pm

By all means go hard-wired. I have considerable experience with the moderately priced wireless equipment from Supercircuits and other suppliers and can tell you from first hand experience that they are unreliable and prone to dropouts and other issues. In apreofesiional setting you do not want your clients to see and hear an unstable send.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]