FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unions & The Moscone in San Francisco

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob edwards
Unions & The Moscone in San Francisco
on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:41:40 pm

I have to film at the Moscone Center in SF later this year. Last time I filmed there I had to pay a Union Rep to walk around with me while I filmed ($300+/day and that was in '05). They said that if I wasn't Union I had to pay the Union for the time.

What do people normally do with this kind of situation? Is there a freelance Union I can join?

I'm sure that several of you out there have had to deal with the issues. As a young guy in the field, I really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Unions & The Moscone in San Francisco
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:44:22 am

lol
laugh like ya thought they were kiddin' then ask what time call time is.
It's one thing to shake down actual members... I mean, they pay dues in trade for security so they can halfass it. To try to bleed it from a fella that works for his money though... again, laugh.

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Apr 28, 2010 at 1:55:28 am

Yep, dealing with these union controlled venues always sucks. A short story: many years ago the Photo Marketing Association used to have their huge annual trade show in Chicago. The unions had such a tight grip on everything that an exhibitor had to pay one to have their stuff carried into the hall, another to unpack it, and an electrician to plug in anything, all separate charges, on top of their fees as an exhibitor. They eventually moved their show out of Chicago. But it's like that everywhere.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:04:05 pm

Bob, when they tell ya it's for insurence purposes, simply show em your insurence card. When it comes down to deal or no deal, simply accept full union rates instead of the less than half day rate offered.

Return to posts index

bob edwards
on Sep 16, 2010 at 1:49:58 am

That's EXACTLY how the Moscone Center in SF is. Since my company is running the conference and we're not Union they won't let us film without a Union Rep so if I could join some local union somehow then I'd have a card and they'd let me pass, otherwise my company pays my rate, plus a union guy so it's actually like triple the fee.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]