FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible solution to the copyrighted music problem with event videos?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John BaldinoPossible solution to the copyrighted music problem with event videos?
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 2:42:45 am

Hi all,

Just read the previous thread and wanted to add my 2c.

Since I too am about to get into the game here with weddings and event vids, the issue of copyrighted music is going to be a very salient one for me as well, and I've been thinking about how to deal with the inevitable situation of when a client asks for music that is obviously copyrighted.

Since saying "no" to a client on this front could very likely mean turning business away, but on the other hand, putting the music into the project means opening oneself up to the (however small) possibility of being sued, I wonder, is it not possible to draft some kind of contract or agreement that transfers all of the liability to the client?

I'm sure that this document would need to use some pretty delicate language, but it seems to me like this could be a possible workaround to this ever-persistent problem that videographers face. I mean, if the client wants song X so bad, why not just give them what they want but make them take on all the liability?

Would love to know if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Possible solution to the copyrighted music problem with event videos?
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:41:19 pm

No. And if you think it thru, you can understand why.

You can't make a contract that says the guy that hired you to rob a bank will take all responsibility if YOU get caught.

I suppose you could try buying a LOT of insurance. But then you'd have to explain to the agent what the insurance protects against.

TANSTAAFL

Return to posts index

Tom MaloneyRe: Possible solution to the copyrighted music problem with event videos?
by on Apr 4, 2010 at 12:56:15 pm

this link will explain better than anything else you can find

http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/resources/fair_use/

good Luck
Tom Maloney

Return to posts index

David StembridgeRe: Possible solution to the copyrighted music problem with event videos?
by on May 6, 2010 at 2:06:45 am

Great article, Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]