FORUMS: list search recent posts

About song copyright in event videos

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian AlvarezAbout song copyright in event videos
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 11:17:45 pm

I'm trying to get started on my video business offering event videography as well as video conversions, and I would like to know what happens when for example the client would like a nice video clip of the best moments of the wedding including their favorite song, or a photo slideshow with a song of their choice, and the same thing goes for services where I would scan the client's photos and put them in a video slideshow to a song of their or my choice. Even though it's not broadcast, it's a commercial service, so would I have to pay the song copyright holder for its use, and if so, how much is that normally? I'm not talking about the latest hits, but rather old songs, like 80s ballads for example.

Thanks for any replies.

Sebastian

Return to posts index

Thax ClaveRe: About song copyright in event videos
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:51:39 am

http://www.reach.net/~scherer/p/copyhelp.htm

Return to posts index

Sebastian AlvarezRe: About song copyright in event videos
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 4:23:26 pm

That's a start, but the article in that link seems more directed to musicians. I would like to know specifically how event videographers deal with this matter.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: About song copyright in event videos
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 5:27:59 pm

I hate to say this, but reality is, most just ignore the law and leave themselves open to possible litigation for their actions.

Getting a license to use most any popular song from the last 30+ years is a very involved process and expensive.

Those who wish to comply with the law, typically will use nondescript music from a source such as Smart Sounds or from an artist allowing use by a Creative Commons license.

But, if you heard it on the radio, or played in a club, chances are you can't afford the license to use it legally in your production.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Return to posts index

Kerry BrownRe: About song copyright in event videos
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 6:58:10 pm

Go to http://www.zoomlicense.com/

KB

Return to posts index

Sebastian AlvarezRe: About song copyright in event videos
by on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:39:29 pm

[Kerry Brown] "Go to http://www.zoomlicense.com/"

It's a start, but unfortunately their list, while gigantic, has mostly unknown performers with weird and some hilarious names.

I would like to know more about experiences from wedding videographers when they had a customer tell them they wanted a photo montage with a particular song in the background, and the videographer had to go through the process of paying for the rights. For example, what song was it, who did they contact, how long did it take to get an answer, how much did they pay, etc.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: About song copyright in event videos
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:21:32 am

I would guess that in 100% of wedding videos, the music is used without permission. It is only a matter of time before the music industry figures this out and stops people from getting married!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]