FORUMS: list search recent posts

When do you suggest 16x9

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al HerrWhen do you suggest 16x9
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 1:45:42 pm

Hi All,

I have a PDX10 that shoots nice 16x9 ...
but I never suggest widescreen format for corp gigs...

Would be a nicer shot to have in 16x9 but would suggesting that to
customers just cause me more hurdles to jump through in editing and DVD production?

Thanks,
Al

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Mark SuszkoRe: When do you suggest 16x9
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:35:01 pm

This is an answer in search of a question. The decision is driven by the specific needs of each job, as well as the specific viewing audience and what mehtod they watch on. If the organization has a lot of legacy 4:3 screens, it would be silly to give them 16:9 shots.
You need to poll the clients and research their needs then deliver the format most suitable for them.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jeff CarpenterRe: When do you suggest 16x9
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:45:55 pm

I always suggest 16x9 first.

But I do agree with Mark. It's up to the client's needs. But these days I just say "I shoot in widescreen, is that fine?" and that makes it the default choice. It's up to them to correct me if that won't work for them.

But it's been years since anyone has said anything other than "that's fine" to me. So it just hasn't been an issue for me.

I produce all my widescreen DVDs to letterbox on 4x3 sets, so everything I make is seen widescreen no matter what. As a compromise you COULD get a widescreen DVD to crop the widescreen images when it's on a 4x3 set. You will lose some resolution doing that, so definitely test it to see if you like it before doing it for a client. But it's possible.

Return to posts index

Al HerrRe: When do you suggest 16x9
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:16:13 pm

Thanks guys.

I see what you are saying that the job drives the decision but I have a lot of little corp gigs where it just wouldn't make any difference. I get the impression it wouldn't matter much although sometimes I think that some simple jobs wouldn't like to see letter boxing simply because it is different.

I am going to start suggesting it as I think my cam's pic is best at 16x9 from what I have read (more pixels ).

Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: When do you suggest 16x9
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:36:28 pm

Actually, here I am talking DVDs...that's pretty much only for my event work now.

All my corporate work is being put on the web (or internal networks) so the choice often revolves around what their web designers want more than anything.

Heck, most of them are just using YouTube which, of course, always uses the widescreen player now. So it's the easy choice for those people too.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
grinner hesterRe: When do you suggest 16x9
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:16:10 am

I suggest it all the time, unless I am adhering to a screen of a certain size... jumbotron, times square billboards, ect.
Anything for tv though... I just hate 4X3 now. Even if doing SD, I'd rather letterbox it.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:23:41 am

Hey thanks Grin and everybody ...
pretty interesting ...
I am gonna start doing it if it makes sense as stated.

AL

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:21:05 pm

Can you guys tell me how to set up my sequence settings for doing 16x9 ?
I am forgetting how as it has been so long.

I am using Final Cut Express.

THanks,
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]