FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Event Filming

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory LewisLive Event Filming
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 2:33:44 am

I am starting a new videography company and I was wondering what tools I would need for a live shoot. Besides a camera and editing suite. I have an iMac that I would like to carry from shoot to shoot and FCP6 with After Effects.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: Live Event Filming
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:17:31 am

You are looking to stream live or just live events and captured for later distribution ???

Also, what kinds of events are you thinking of ???

Return to posts index

Cory LewisRe: Live Event Filming
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:29:22 am

I want to film a live event and offer the client DVD copies. I've been doing this for awhile now. But, I am transitioning into 2 or more cameras and I just started editing my first event and its a pain. I was wondering if it was possible and what would I need. I know a switcher and probably a couple monitors, etc.

The kind of events I have shot are like Fashion Shows and little Award Shows, Music Videos etc.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: Live Event Filming
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:58:38 pm

We have shot 4 cameras for quite a while, two stationary and two B Roll. When I began, somewhere I read to "quesstimate" editing time for such a shoot, figure on 1 hour of editing time per minute of finished video. We frequently will exceed that ratio, as we are doing "one take" probably as you are going to do. Our work has been concentrated in band promo work, and we have found there is no way to automate the editing aspect, as the action varies on stage from performer to performer during any given song. We also try our best to align our cuts to the song and it's tempo/beat. We use Premiere Pro and there is an ability within Premiere to view all your clips at the same time and cut from their various windows thus saving time. Although this could work for some types of events, for the band work we have done, it appeared useless. Our cuts typically are at 4-6 second intervals...closer to the 4 mark than 6.

Because two of our cams are roaming and shooting B Roll, when we get to editing, we have to watch a selected cam for the duration of the portion we wish to use, to make sure that cam stays on the view we want. Often times we have gone to editing and gone into selecting a cam's view, only to find it unusable for the 4 second duration because the operator left that view for another on stage elsewhere. If all your cameras are stationary, you eliminate that, but your clips can get a very stale appearance as the viewer sees the same view time and again.

Here's an example of using two basically stationary views:

http://www.vimeo.com/807308

For that song, it just about works, at least it was close enough to get away with.

This now is the same group, different location and shot with four cams and extensive editing and effects/overlays:

http://www.vimeo.com/2158436

Our editing and effects time for the second one exceeded 1.5 hours per minute, but gave us the product we wanted to present.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:14:49 am

Ok. Let's b a little more specific. I'm trying to film an event live and immediately offer a DVD. In essence I am trying to shoot a live event using multiple angles directly to my computer like a live TV broadcast and edit from there. Using a switcher or a program to switch from camera angle to camera angle.

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Live Event Filming
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:54:35 pm

You will need a switcher upstream and a DVD recorder. And if you're offering a DVD "immediately after" you will not have time to do any editing.

I'd recommend a NewTek TriCaster and the DVD burner of your choice. Not a cheap solution, until you consider the cost of doing it any other way.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Live Event Filming
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:35:55 pm

A live-switched recording will generate ***one*** DVD master when you are done. And nothing "authored", no menus, just a straight-ahead single 2-hour recording to a blank DVD-R.

I assume you want to sell multiple copies on site, while the crowd is still there?

Then you're going to need a stand-alone, high-speed DVD dubbing tower. Maybe more than one. We use one that will do 10 at a time; 2-hour DVD's are "cooked" in about eight or so minutes. If you had two of these, after the first 8-10-minute burn, you'd be able to run 20 at a time, every eight to ten minutes, alternating the machines you'd have ten popping out every five or so minutes. A little under 100 an hour. This is assuming the blank media has been pre-printed ahead of time, of course. Still not a "mass" amount, but you have to decide how important "instant" really is. If you are at a 2-day event and can turn around the DVD dubs overnight, based on orders the first day, you'd have a way to do that.

The more inexpensive way to go might be to take orders on site and hand out empty but printed cases, the discs are promised by mail a few days later.

These dubbing towers are awesome, but pricy. Check out Diskmakers.com for some examples of the machines you would need to do this.

Return to posts index

Rob McLaughlinRe: Live Event Filming
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:13:10 pm

We have just recently started doing exactly what you are describing.
I've put together an outline of our process and equipment here...

http://arnellgraphics.com/equipment.html

...Rob

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Live Event Filming
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:26:51 am

I never shoot live events on film. I shoot with a Sony FX1 and edit in an Avid Adrenaline suite. I seldom tote a tripod and I don't light live events. I keep a wireless lav in my pocket, should I need it, and I keep a dimmable LED headlamp on me.

Return to posts index

Adam TroupRe: Live Event Filming
by on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:36:38 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking for more event video jobs, you mention Corey that you have shot fashion shows and small award ceremonies, how did you approach those clients? If anybody else has any good ideas on finding more jobs that are shooting event video I would appreciate your input.

Regards

Adam

http://www.inspirevideo.co.uk

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:15:55 pm

Thank you all for your response. I have quickly abandoned the idea of a multi-camera live shoot (for now). Because I don't have access to the second camera. I recently purchased a Sony HVR-HD1000U and actually was able to shoot a live event to the clients hard drive. They did not want any editing so I just connected it to my iMac (which I brought along, NEVER AGAIN!) and shot it straight to FCP and set the scratch disks to a folder on their hard drive. It worked out pretty smoothly and I think when I get a laptop I will do it more often.

In regards to the last post. I get my gigs from craigslist.org and on successful gigs I almost always get call backs from former clients. I also recently signed on to a wedding planning company and I am working with them this coming wedding season. Craigslist is a decent place to look for work. You just have to be wary of the people you work with. A lot of people tend to screw you out of money very very quickly. Very few people are paying anymore. But, I'm building quite a resume and bring it to bigger companies.

Return to posts index

Adam TroupRe: Live Event Filming
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:33:37 am

Thanks for that Corey, I have been thinking about approaching some local wedding planners but have been unsure how to go about it, did the ones you are working with approach you or was it you who made the first move?

Regards

Adam

http://www.inspirevideo.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]