FORUMS: list search recent posts

rode Videomic or Rode SVM

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Leybarode Videomic or Rode SVM
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 4:56:38 pm

What is a better microphone for my Sony HDR-Fx7 camera? I've been looking at Rode Videomic and the Rode Stereo Videomic. Suggestions? Or if there is any mic better than the 2 within the price range is good. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Rick WiseRe: rode Videomic or Rode SVM
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 7:23:57 pm

Depends on what you are shooting. Voices? Then usually mono will be fine. Music? Usually better with stereo. The mono mic is cheaper.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video

Return to posts index

Justin LeybaRe: rode Videomic or Rode SVM
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 1:39:17 am

I would use it in my short films (dialogues)and sometimes also use it in our live band recordings. I'm gonna use it in basically everything because my mic will not leave the camera. It will be the permanent mic.

Return to posts index

Chip ThomeRe: rode Videomic or Rode SVM
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:29:29 am

For all around work, you want the stereo Videomic.

I took the "cheap" route and went for the Videomic first....and three weeks later went for the right one that's best for most of my uses.

I am not unhappy I now own both, but for anything music related, the shotgun is not the answer at all. The Videomic is primo for spoken word, but just about sucks when it comes to recording live music.

I got mine from one of the bigger online houses, mostly becaause I knew one of the sales people personally. He sold me the Videomic with reservations. But when it came to going to the Stereo Videomic instead of one of the others, he pitched them all but in the end told me the Rode Stereo Videomic would be best for on cam use.

I have never been sorry I chose it.

Return to posts index

Justin LeybaRe: rode Videomic or Rode SVM
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:55:35 am

I now have the Rode Stereo Videomic and it sounds great! It's really an all-around microphone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved