FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera and DVD system for sports events

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Longmore
Camera and DVD system for sports events
on Nov 19, 2009 at 11:15:23 am

I am looking for a camera system that is suitable for filming sports. The situation i am in currently is this: I have been asked to shoot 2 games a week of football and it needs to be given in a DVD format as soon after the game has completed as possible.

It needs to be reasonably good quality, but certainly not the best available. It is used for tribunal decisions and also for game reviews.

What i think i need is a camera that shoots either straight to DVD, or one that shoots to tape/HDD and also to DVD, or straight to tape/HDD and has a system that can be added on and have a copy made straight to DVD.

Is this possible? I have seen it done around this area before but have failed to get any information on it right now.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Camera and DVD system for sports events
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:37:52 pm

If the camera sits on a tripod, why can't you just run a cable from the video-output port to the input of a 99-dollar tunerless DVD recorder from walmart (and send audio from a mixer)? Records in real time, then takes between 30 seconds to five minutes to "finalize" the disk before you can hand it over, and it plays in any DVD player or computer. Spend a bit more for a disk replicator, and you can make additional copies, one at a time, in a few minutes. Or buy one of the recorders that has a hard drive as well as the DVD recorder, simul-record to both, hand off the first DVD tot he officials, and you can burn extra copes off the ahrd drive in aster tan real time, about ten minutes each. We have a Panasonic that does this, the TMR or DMR series.

Return to posts index

Travis Longmore
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:47:32 pm

It will definitely be sitting on a tripod. I think maybe recording to both DVD and HD would be the best way to go. Simul-record to both and then we can make multiple copies when back at the office. We need at least one to go ASAP after the games.

Could anyone recommend a camera that is good quality, good for sports, and has this feature?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 20, 2009 at 12:01:04 am

I do not like the mini-DVD camcorders, the media is harder to find, takes longer to edit, and is too expensive for the short duration you get. The XDCam camcorders I believe shoot to what is essentially a bluray disk inside a protective cassette, but this is not something you can hand off to a casual client user.
You can buy strap-on hard drives like the FireStor or the Aja product, these give you a hard drive ready to plug into an editing system so no time wasted transferring footage off of tape, again, this is not exactly what your situation is calling for.

JVC makes a docking station for one of their camcorders, called the CU VD-3. It promises to burn a 1- hour DVD off your camcorder's USB connection in 30 minutes. That's under $200 but probably too slow for your needs, and it may require you buy a matching JVC camera.

So I still think something in the same family as the PANASONIC DMR-EH67 , for under $400, or a cheaper 99-dollar unit from Walmart, rigged up in a milk crate or something for portability, is what will work for you. The panny I referenced has a feature your sports client may like: just like a tivo, it can rewind and play back while still recording, so you could offer a video review of a contested play while stlll recording, just like the NFL or MLB leagues do. You want to make sure that whatever model you choose it can simul-record to hard drive as well as to the DVD, and that it has high-speed dubbing from hard drive to DVD as well as analog and maybe digital inputs, compatible with whatever live output cable came with your camcorder. My guess is you'll spend between 100 and 250 bucks on this, plus a crate for the unit, power supply, and some kind of monitor setup.

One other option is to shoot to digital cards or hard drive, transfer to a laptop in the field, and use the laptop to burn a DVD on location. This is probably not faster than the panasonic recorder, and you get to fret about taking a thousand-dollar laptop on location versus a 2-300 dollar DVD burner.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Return to posts index

Travis Longmore
on Nov 20, 2009 at 6:13:06 am

I've had a look at the Panasonic unit you mentioned, and to be honest that thought didn't even occur to me. I think that's probably the best way to go. I think i could get someone to make a bag or system to carry and use it a little easier and hopefully get a nice system together.

As for cameras I'm thinking something like the Canon XHA1 would be perfect for what we want. The price tag is a little over what i would like to spend, however I'm familiar with this camera through my current work and would be comfortable using it.

Is there anything else that is comparable or better for sports at this price range or under?

Return to posts index

Travis Longmore
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:14:17 am

Ok so I'm back in the situation of figuring out how to get this working properly. I'm trying to find a good solution that is portable and can hook up to different cameras.

We have both a JVC that outputs to s-video and the canon XH A1 which i believe outputs only via component. Is there a solution that would take either of these? I was looking at this: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/07/sonys-latest-dvdirect-camcorder-to-dvd-r...
Which suits me in terms of portability, and ease of use. Does anyone know if this would work? I can't try it out unless i buy the thing, so i don't want to buy it if it won't work.

The above suggestions that mark mentioned would be great, however i can't seem to find a DVD recorder that takes both component and s-video without spending over $1000.

I almost think a good solution would be to get some sort of converter box that i could plug either camera up to and that could plug in to a DVD recorder.

I'm getting a little desperate right now trying to figure this out. Any help would be fabulous!!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:47:12 am

Well, some may disagree but my understanding is that AVCHD is hard to edit on many systems without first doing a conversion, and the disks that unit you point out makes seem like they will only play in blue ray players. One of your dilemmas is that you want to shoot HD but the most economical and efficient way to distribute is still on Standard def DVD.

how's $300 sound?

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR410-Upconverting-Tunerless-Recorder/dp/B001...

used one around $70, pretty cheap for an experiment...

Return to posts index

Travis Longmore
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:51:28 am

I should have probably mentioned this earlier, but we are only shooting on SD on the Canon. It's not quality they are after it's really just getting the disc ASAP after the game.

Does that change things or make it easier? Am i making this harder then it needs to be?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:53:16 am

Yes.

Return to posts index

Travis Longmore
on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:14:21 am

I'll try and get hold of the one you suggested and see how that goes. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]