FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roving Camera

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'ConnellRoving Camera
by on Oct 25, 2009 at 11:31:38 pm

I saw a demo today of a wedding. They did a technique of doing a 360 deg shot around a cake table. They also "floated" up the church aisle. Every shot look so smooth.

How did they do this? Every time I take my camera off of a tripod I am shaky! Is it just experience (upper body strength :)) or is there some fancy product they are using?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Roving Camera
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:36:12 pm

Steadicam, or some variation of it, or they lay out track and a dolly or just a dolly with the wheels locked to roll ina curved track. If the floor was carpet, likely steadicam. There is a knack to walking with a steadicam, they call it "the Don Juan" way of walking, because it looks like what the famous silent actor Valentino did as he walked around in scenes of all his movies, including "the Sheik" and "Don Juan" a kind of gliding step that extends forward more than normal, then you sort of slide into it, keeping your shoulders level instead of bouncing up and down like a normal stride.

If you look like John Cleese from the Ministry of Silly Walks, you're doing it wrong.

Return to posts index

Matt DoeRe: Roving Camera
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:01:49 am

They could have also stabilized in post-production. There are a number of solutions out there for this. But doing it in post has its limits and major drawbacks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved