FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strapless Dress Rant

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron CadieuxStrapless Dress Rant
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:10:52 am

Does anyone else in here who covers weddings hate strapless wedding/bridesmaid dresses? I can't stand them. I have had so many would-have-been-good-shots ruined by girls having to hike up their bustline to keep the dress from falling off. Most of the time it's because the girls (including some brides) wearing the strapless dresses have no business wearing strapless dresses in the first place. I think it looks very trashy, and the constant on-the-fly garment adjustments are frustrating for me as a videographer. Someday I'm just going to leave in all the adjusting, and when the bride says "oh, I don't like how you got me adjusting my dress", or "oh, I don't like how you got my maid of honor adjusting her dress", I'm going to say, "well maybe you shouldn't have picked strapless dresses".

Can I get an Amen?

-Aaron Cadieux

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:33:13 pm

Aaron, I'm beginning to think you really don't like this job. When you hate what you're doing, it becaimes harder to do it well.

Return to posts index

Aaron CadieuxRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:51:44 pm

Mark man,

It was intended to be a light-hearted post.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:45:30 pm

Maybe so, but I read it in the greater overall context of your recent body of posts. I was just doing it for money, for a time, and I found I really wasn't happy just doing it for money, not in the long run, and not for the trade-off in lost weekend family time and the incredible stress of it. So I got out of it, found something else.

If this part of the biz is not really your bag, maybe you *should* look at other options anyhow, because the thing is, there's a glut of people doing the work, depressing profits. To excel, over the long haul, and to command a price that makes it all worth it, that makes a *living* from it, you have to stand apart. That means superior gear, superior talent, and superior effort, in execution as well as marketing.

You can't sustain that kind of commitment if you don't love it, if it is not in your blood and bone to do this. There's no shame in that. What you have to do then, is find another part of the biz that really turns you on, some part of it that you love so much, you'd be doing it for free in your off hours, if you weren't doing it for money.

There's a niche out there in this business for just about everybody, and new ones being created by imaginative folks all the time. That IMO is the thing to shoot for, a job you create for yourself, because it will not just make you a living, it will make you happy while living. So many of us forget that part of it.

Sorry to get so personal, guess this was my "kanye moment" for today. I'll butt out now.

Return to posts index

Lynn L. EmerichRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:02:03 pm

Over the years I have assembled quite a library of strapless wardrobe "malfunctions". Some day I'll put them together and make a music video.

Emerich Video Service

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:17:10 pm

If I had a nickle for every "wardrobe malfunction" I caught on tape, I'd be....well I wouldn't have any money or anything, but I know that would be a story to tell my buddies at the bar if it actually happened!

Jeff Bonano

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Sep 20, 2009 at 2:08:20 pm

My favorite was "why does my daughter look so heavy?"

"oh that's just cuz she's fat. On the bright side, she could totally wear a strapless dress and never have to adjust it."

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Oct 4, 2009 at 9:07:55 pm

I am always amused when the bride, strapless or not, is seen on camera grinding with the groomsmen. I realize they all probably hung out in college, but show some respect ladies - this is your wedding.

Maybe a "what not to do on your wedding" video would be a good seller for one of you guys to make.

I have done exactly 2 weddings and it will stay at 2 if I can help it.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Julie ConroyRe: Strapless Dress Rant
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:53:24 am

It has nothing to do with what actually looks good on people. It is all about what is easily fitted. People have different length arms and widths. In the age of mass produced gowns, a fitting nightmare. So no sleeves or straps is what is the easiest to produce and fit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved