FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron CadieuxWeddings
by on Aug 23, 2009 at 6:52:44 pm

Just a survey,

Does anyone else in here hate doing weddings, but do them anyway, because the money is too good to pass up? Does anyone else in here feel ashamed to video a wedding in fear of becoming a one-trick-pony "wedding videographer"? I answer yes to both of the questions above. Weddings are the worst. They're cliche, boring, and insulting to a videographer with any self-respect. I hate being something that I have no respect for. Every wedding I do is the "last wedding I'm ever doing".

-Aaron Cadieux

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Weddings
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:37:14 pm

You should stop then.

Weddings are very stressful for us, because we only get one chance to get it right, and there is a lot of emotion, not to mention, financial outlay, on the line. I got out of them because of several reasons:

I started to value the free weekends with wife and family more than the extra income.
The business needed to jump up to the next level to stay viable, and I was unwilling to commit the investment in gear.
My day job got crazier and less predictable hours, and I began to fear i could not meet every commitment.

Weddings are somewhat formulaic, but then so is a lot of television production. What you need to do to get out of that funk is concentrate on perfecting your execution in every little way you can. Two homes both keep the rain off your head: one is a mansion and the other a shack. The difference is in all the DETAILS you add.

Return to posts index

Matt TownleyRe: Weddings
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:40:04 pm

Hi Aaron,

I am not a videographer, so I cannot speak from that point of view, BUT, I have a number of friends that are wedding videographers. They do other work, too, but their bread-n-butter is wedding work. I only speak for myself and not any of them, but I think it is pretty insulting to hear you say that their work is "cliche, boring, and insulting to a videographer with any self-respect."

If you look at some of their work, I think you will find it hard to call good wedding videography boring and cliche.

Here are links to just a few of them:

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Weddings
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:57:37 pm

In the best sense, this is true documentary shooting. Approach it as art, and you may get some art out of it.

Return to posts index

Michael FolorunshoRe: Weddings
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:47:06 am

I'd have to agree with Mark and Matt....if you hate doing them so much then just don't do them anymore.

It's not fair on the couple if your attitude towards them paying you to capture the most important moment in their lives is negative and unprofessional.

Have you considered outsourcing the actual shooting to another videographer(s)? That would save you the 'stress' of having to shoot it yourself, that way you can just do the editing...just a thought.

Michael Folorunsho
Clicktone Media

Return to posts index

Bill CelnickRe: Weddings
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 7:30:52 pm

I am proud to be a wedding videographer, although I used to feel that other more "serious" video people looked down upon me.

In addition to weddings, I've produced for corporations, shot training videos, real estate, trial testimony, seminars, conferences, etc. Most of this work is forgotten by the client, and by myself fairly quickly.

Producing a wedding, on the other hand, preserves what hopefully is one of the best days of someone's life, and I feel it has more meaning then just about all of the work I mentioned above. It could live for generations, and that, to me is what its all about.

If you're in this just to make a buck you're in the wrong place, but I would tell you that if you were in any profession that you hated.

Return to posts index

Joe BryanRe: Weddings
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 1:58:49 pm

I have enjoyed shooting them since 1980 and I'll take all the ones you don't want.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Weddings
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:11:13 pm

I did it for 15 years and got tired of the control freak photographers , banquet managers that they think they are running a White House gala and couples that don't think to feed you after 12 hours (I used to start at the house). With all that, I've met some great people and had some great experiences, but I realized it wasn't for me anymore. I give credit to the ones that really enjoy it and I've seen some videos that are masterpieces. Me...I prefer doing corporate projects, where one week I'm filming a Nature video and the next a surgery or flying in a Helicopter or the riding in the back of about diverse and educational...don't know I can say that about a wedding.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved