FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD delivery to client-What do you use?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Dunn
DVD delivery to client-What do you use?
on Aug 13, 2009 at 6:24:51 pm

I would like some feedback on how people deliver DVD's to clients. Do you print on the DVD, and if so, what printer set up do you use? Or do you use stick on labels? Or do you just have another source do it for you, a DVD duplicator/replicator? What advice can you help me out with? Thanks.

Daniel
http://www.ddunnproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: DVD delivery to client-What do you use?
on Aug 13, 2009 at 6:50:05 pm

NEVER use stick-on labels. EVER. Go inkjet or thermal or lightscribe instead.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:09:12 pm

We use stick on labels for most of our DVDs for small quantities. Never had one problem. For larger orders we send them out to a local company which imprints directly on the DVD.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:56:30 pm

The day one of those labels lifts off just a little while spinning inside a (soon to be former) client's drive... well, there are 2 kinds of people: those who already regret using stick-ons, and those who will, someday. :-)

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:21:50 pm

We do short run duplication and we use a Primera printer/publisher to produce our DVD's. It works great for small quantity, anything below 1000. You would also need a duplicator. Setup cost for equipment would run about $2000 on the cheap end upward of $10,000 for higher quality production. It depends on how many and how frequently your are producing DVD's.

Alan Smith
Media317

Check out my blog - http://media317.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Dunn
on Aug 13, 2009 at 9:03:51 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the answers. I'm only doing 1-5 at a time. I'm probably going to stay away from the stick on labels. I agree with you Mark, I don't ever want anything to happen with it coming off.

Daniel
http://www.ddunnproductions.com

Return to posts index

Steven Beers
on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:34:55 pm

PLEASE don't use stick on labels. You want a test to prove it? Put a label on all the way, and rub it on like you normally would. Now, use a knife or key or something to peel an edge back, and rip the label off. I'll bet you money your whole CD comes with it, and you are left with a clear plastic disc where your CD was. Just the thought of that being possible so easily just screams for troubles in the long run. If you have to do it on the cheap, Epson and HP both make printers with CD trays that do a fine job. Buy the inkjet printible Taiyo Yuden's, it's worth it.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 15, 2009 at 5:08:32 pm

I'll second that: NEVER use stick-ons for DVDs. For the small runs you speak of, the cheap Epson Photo R280 is a terrific, economical solution, combined with those white, printable Taiyo Yuden's, which are extremely reliable. Let your Google fingers do the searching for the best prices.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:36:28 am

The cheap way:

Buy an Epson Printer, I think the latest to print DVDs is the Artisan 800. There are other...

For DVD media. The most reliable, non smudging media I've found so far at an affordable cost is the Taiyo Yuden Water Shield. Beautiful glossy finish, and waterproof (up to a certain point).

Most others I've tried will get sticky and really never dry.

NO LABELS!

The best way: Primera Bravo system.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 16, 2009 at 8:08:40 pm

The cheapest DVD-printing Epson I can find is the Epson Artisan 50, for $100 at Amazon. The one I have, the Epson Photo R280, which I like a lot for small-batch DVD printing, is currently $133 through Amazon.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 16, 2009 at 8:24:48 pm

Epson makes a couple of different versions. We have an Artisan 800 and it has an automatic tray, the old ones were an absolute pain to load, would be faster to hand paint the damn DVD.

All in all, if budget is an issue, I would look at eBay for a used Bravo SE publisher for around $500-600, will burn and print automatically up to 20 discs. These things are pretty amazing for the cost.

The only downside is that they only use one cartridge for color vs 5 with Epson, so there is a huge waste if you do a run in one particular prominent color.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 16, 2009 at 9:11:11 pm

I am going to respectfully disagree with Vince. I have had problems printing DVDs with an earlier version of the Epson Photo R280, but none at all with the R280 itself. It's a breeze to use to print DVDs, once you understand the directions. Yes, you will have to read the directions -- none of us like to do that. For the price, this Epson is one fine printer.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 16, 2009 at 10:55:36 pm

Rick,

I could be mistaken, but isn't that the model that requires that you carefully line up the tray everytime?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 16, 2009 at 11:10:26 pm

Vince, the model R200 had a difficult-to-line-up tray. That's the model I used to have, and made it work until it died. The R280 has a very simple, clear slot and is a breeze to line up. You open the door, lift the drop-down tray up out of its normal print slot, reinsert it in the marked space above that. The printer whirs around a bit and is ready. You place the DVD in a tray very similar to the one on the R200 but this time slide it into the clearly marked, easy-to-use slots in the flop-down tray, and push it in until the arrows line up. Super easy.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 16, 2009 at 11:50:35 pm

Yes, and actually the one we had was the rx280, nor r280, it was the same as the 200, awful design, and always seemed to a bit off.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:46:43 pm

Primera Disc Publisher Pro with Taiyo Yuden glossy discs. Hmm, things seem to be repeating themselves.

We went through a variety of robotic systems, but they were slow and unreliable.

We recently picked up a 15 disc at a time duper from Discmakers. Awesome, fast and reliable. Blows away the duping thoughput of robotic dupers.

Anything over 1000 we use Cinemagnetics or Princeton Disc.

One-off discs for a review copy of something gets a printed label with our company logo. Much more professional than a Sharpie.

Put your best foot forward no matter what you do.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Sep 5, 2009 at 11:29:47 pm

I use an Epson Photo RX-580, now replaced by the 680. Works like a charm. Somewhat slow, but for short runs it's fine. I've used TDK and Verbatim printable DVD-Rs for years with never a failure. The label software that comes with the printer is fine for most jobs. Be warned, print jobs with photos or lots of color do suck up a lot of ink on the Epson. I don't know about the HP for comparison.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:50:42 pm

I don't know how long that was Mike, but ours is very reliable.

We get about 1 DVD every 3 minutes which isn't bad with a low end publisher and single burner. I've heard of issues with previous models, but ours has been doing very well, I assume things were solved with firware upgrades.

The cost is about 90 cents per DVD (minus the unit of course with full coverage on TY. The print quality is top notch and smudge free on watershields.

Compare that to $4.00 plus 1 week+ turnaround with Discmakers, and not being to see the result before you get it back, at least not without paying $20.00 for a proof; did I mention shipping?.

We do use these guys for large dups jobs of course but I love the convenience of being to turn around 50 to 100 DVDs the next day.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:06:05 am

Just throwing my 2 cents in here as I've been struggling with this issue too as a start up events business. Originally tried to use Lightscribe and that was terrible. Tried numerous brands of discs, different software and saying different prayers and the only thing that was consistent was unsatisfying results. I gave up. Bought an HP Photoshop Premium all in one for $249 at Costco. Very poor instructions, but once I figured it out and created the right template in Photoshop it admittedly printed BEAUTIFUL labels (I was using Sony stock). Problem was the software and the machine were glitchy, one or the other causing frequent crashes. Then I discovered that Costco had overpriced it by $75 so I took it back and have been searching out the "right" printer ever since. Epson seems to be the leader in this, major complaint seems to be the way they suck ink, the HP sucked it too, I'd say it was running about $0.70 per full color photo print on disc, but at least with HP if it runs out of one color you can keep printing, apparently that is not the case with Epson. I guess Canon has some good units they sell in Europe but they're not selling any of them here.

I wish I could find the Artisan 50 for $100 like Rick saw. Right now on Amazon it's $160, the R280 is $199 and the Rx680 (looks nice) is a whopping $649. I know this doesn't sound like a lot to some of you but when you look at the list of things I "need" to buy, from extra batteries to lights to software upgrades etc, every buck counts. I have a color laser printer and a stand alone scanner so I don't really need this for anything but DVD printing, but at $160 for the Artisan 50 I get confused as I have seen the Artisan 800 for $150, my concern there being that it's software may not work with Snow Leopard. Anyone know? Any more suggestions? It takes a lot of searching to find the models that do this.

Best,

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:07:22 am

Just throwing my 2 cents in here as I've been struggling with this issue too as a start up events business. Originally tried to use Lightscribe and that was terrible. Tried numerous brands of discs, different software and saying different prayers and the only thing that was consistent was unsatisfying results. I gave up. Bought an HP Photoshop Premium all in one for $249 at Costco. Very poor instructions, but once I figured it out and created the right template in Photoshop it admittedly printed BEAUTIFUL labels (I was using Sony stock). Problem was the software and the machine were glitchy, one or the other causing frequent crashes. Then I discovered that Costco had overpriced it by $75 so I took it back and have been searching out the "right" printer ever since. Epson seems to be the leader in this, major complaint seems to be the way they suck ink, the HP sucked it too, I'd say it was running about $0.70 per full color photo print on disc, but at least with HP if it runs out of one color you can keep printing, apparently that is not the case with Epson. I guess Canon has some good units they sell in Europe but they're not selling any of them here.

I wish I could find the Artisan 50 for $100 like Rick saw. Right now on Amazon it's $160, the R280 is $199 and the Rx680 (looks nice) is a whopping $649. I know this doesn't sound like a lot to some of you but when you look at the list of things I "need" to buy, from extra batteries to lights to software upgrades etc, every buck counts. I have a color laser printer and a stand alone scanner so I don't really need this for anything but DVD printing, but at $160 for the Artisan 50 I get confused as I have seen the Artisan 800 for $150, my concern there being that it's software may not work with Snow Leopard. Anyone know? Any more suggestions? It takes a lot of searching to find the models that do this.

Best,

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Julie Conroy
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:24:48 pm

I print directly on the DVD with an Epson R200 and watershield discs. Get my discs from Meritline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]