FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessorize SR11 or move up to new camcorder

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy AdamsAccessorize SR11 or move up to new camcorder
by on Aug 3, 2009 at 3:29:51 pm

I bought a used Sony SR11 to shoot event videos exclusively for the internet. Results have been acceptable, except for low light shooting ... and, unfortunately, I often shoot in dim indoor light. I also would like a much wider lens.

I feel I have two routes to take:

• Accessorize the SR11 with a camcorder light, and see if that and a combination of white balance settings and/or Video FX can improve my low light results. (And learn to live with the lens.)

• or

• Accept that I need to spend more money to get better results, and research higher-end equipment.

• I can find out the hard way by buying the camcorder light and seeing if it helps, but thought I'd ask more experienced hands here for feedback first. I'm new to videography, and it's obvious that some real experts visit these forums.

I have read that low-light shooting is often a problem with low-end camcorders. I know that providing an other-than-ambient light source in dim light makes a big difference in still photography, but don't know if the same applies in videography.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Accessorize SR11 or move up to new camcorder
    by on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:13:52 pm

It does. But for example, adding an external light to the camera will not help you when shooting a wedding in a church where the light is not allowed, where all you get to use is the ambient. And shooting candid is less candid when the light is intrusive. So there's more to it than that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 All Rights Reserved