FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Cameras

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Neary
HD Cameras
on Jul 28, 2009 at 1:30:51 pm

I own a sony pd 170 and am very happy with it, however, I know that HD is the way to go. Trying to find an HD camera that allows me to shoot HD/SD as well as 16X9 & 4X3. The biggest thing for me is a camera that allows me to shoot in low light without any noise in the footage. I don't like to stand too close to the subjects and I normally use no more than 10-20 watts on my light. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: HD Cameras
on Jul 28, 2009 at 4:14:13 pm

The Sony EX1 is a great camera. I don't think it shoots SD, though. You can always downconvert when encoding for DVD.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 28, 2009 at 6:55:57 pm

There are a few cameras that still shoot both SD and HD. The Canon HV20/30/40 does, but none of those models are terrific in low light. You have to go to a more expensive camera for good low-light handling. Here are a couple of cameras that still shoot both SD and HDV (on tape) and are reported to be very good in low light:

--Sony HDR-FX1000, $3,199
--Sony HVR-Z5u, $4,250 -- the prosumer version of the above, with XLR audio inputs

There is also the Canon XH-A1s ($3,400) which is also tape-based and shoots both SD and HDV. I am not certain about its low-light capabilities. It seems to be the successor to the great SD Canon, DVX-100b, which worked well in low light. If you go to B&H's description/reviews, wedding videographers seems to like it -- which strongly suggests it works well in low light.

Otherwise, you could shoot on one of the new Panasonics, or as already suggested the Sony EX1 or 3, and downconvert to SD when needed.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 2, 2009 at 2:35:51 am

Go tapeless. Panasonic HPX-170 SD and HD. If you are used to editing DV, editing with P2 will be a breeze compared to HDV/XDCAM EX. Say goodbye to dropouts.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Beau Brotherton
on Aug 6, 2009 at 11:13:25 pm

The 170 is an awesome camera. But P2 is an expensive route (I have the HVX).

I would look into the Panasonic HMC150.

Beau Brotherton
Reel Memories Wedding Films
http://www.reelmemories.ws
FCP6, HVX200

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:37:10 am

The initial investment may be expensive (for some folks) for P2 but the P2 cards will last for a very long time making the cost of P2 relatively inexpensive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]